Skull cap headache

dstev55
dstev55 Posts: 742
edited November 2015 in Road general
My skull cap is giving me a head ache - literally. It's a Planet X one. It doesnt feel overly tight when I put it on but after half an hour or so I get a lot of pressure pain at the front of my head. It got so bad on tonight's ride that I started to go light headed and had to stop and take it off. Has anyone else suffered from this before? Any recommendations on skull caps, ideally ones for a big head (yes I do have a big head)?

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,516
    Maybe it's your helmet?
  • dstev55
    Maybe it's your helmet?

It may be a combination of the two, but the pressure was instantly relieved when I took the cap off and I was fine for the rest of the ride other than having very cold tabs!
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    I've had a similar issue.

Try loosening the headband adjustment on your helmet. Will only need a click or 2.

I found that with a skullcap under the helmet it made it too tight, and loosening things did the trick.
  • As already said, helmet too tight with the skull cap underneath,
    or maybe your running slightly too hot with both on.
  • dstev55
    I'll have a go at loosening my helmet, it was the sort of pain that felt like the cold was getting to my forehead but in actual fact I think it was the pressure.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Of course the pressure was released as all of a sudden there was more space in the helmet?
    If you have something under the helmet then you need to make allowances.
  • dstev55
    Of course the pressure was released as all of a sudden there was more space in the helmet?
    If you have something under the helmet then you need to make allowances.

I know it sounds obvious - but I like my helmet nice and snug, don't like the thought of it moving if I have an accident. Like it has been suggested though, I think I can afford to loosen it a little :-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I had a headache once - started to feel quite dizzy. So much so that I had to stop and rest.
    I put it down entirely to having the helmet one notch tighter than usual.

Definitely worth loosening it off.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    In terms of recommendations, I have a Castelli Viva Thermo Skully. It is supremely comfortable and very thin. It's not too tight and really wicks sweat well. It fits easily under my Mojito helmet and I even use it on its own when I go out running in the cold evenings.

As a reference point, my head circumference is 57cm and the Castelli skull cap fits nicely. Have you measured your head? If so, what size is your helmet and is it the correct size for your head?

Finally, have you tried wearing just your skull cap for an hour or so when out walking or running to see if that alone is the issue? It sounds to me like blood flow is being restricted when you use your skull cap and helmet together - most likely around the area at the back and sides of your head and neck.

I would also check the chin strap on your helmet to ensure that it is not too tight when you've got the skull cap on. Again, check for anything that is causing blood flow to your head to be restricted.

Whilst the chin strap may be snug when using the helmet alone, it may be far too tight when you're wearing the skull cap and helmet.
  • dstev55
    In terms of recommendations, I have a Castelli Viva Thermo Skully. It is supremely comfortable and very thin. It's not too tight and really wicks sweat well. It fits easily under my Mojito helmet and I even use it on its own when I go out running in the cold evenings.

As a reference point, my head circumference is 57cm and the Castelli skull cap fits nicely. Have you measured your head? If so, what size is your helmet and is it the correct size for your head?

Finally, have you tried wearing just your skull cap for an hour or so when out walking or running to see if that alone is the issue? It sounds to me like blood flow is being restricted when you use your skull cap and helmet together - most likely around the area at the back and sides of your head and neck.

I would also check the chin strap on your helmet to ensure that it is not too tight when you've got the skull cap on. Again, check for anything that is causing blood flow to your head to be restricted.

Whilst the chin strap may be snug when using the helmet alone, it may be far too tight when you're wearing the skull cap and helmet.

Running... :lol::lol::lol:

No in all in seriousness great points and thanks for the recommendation.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    I bought a skull cap and it gave me a headache too.

I binned it an bought a buff I now wear. It's perfect for keeping me warm in winter.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Why has everyone ignored the obvious. Ditch the helmet, it's not needed.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Maybe it's all your common sense trying to get out.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    I'm not sure there is any pressure here. The skull appears to have enough space to cave in slightly before hitting the brain
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Do you also find that sucking ice cubes makes your teeth hurt?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    I've had this happen to. I fixed it by buying a larger skull cap and giving the original one away to a friend with a smaller head!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    Why has everyone ignored the obvious. Ditch the helmet, it's not needed.

What a silly solution, I fell of my bike recently and although I didn't hit my head it obviously could have saved my life

The solution here is a haircut
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I bought a skull cap and it gave me a headache too.

I binned it an bought a buff I now wear. It's perfect for keeping me warm in winter.

You did all that without asking for advice on the internet, you mad man, you could have been killed!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I brought some shoes and when I put them on my feet hurt...they are quite tight and even though I'm an 8 in normal shoes these size 6's were on offer. Any ideas?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,859
    I brought some shoes and when I put them on my feet hurt...they are quite tight and even though I'm an 8 in normal shoes these size 6's were on offer. Any ideas?

Bound your toes to the ball of your feet
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    cut holes at the front to allow your toes out
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    cut holes at the front to allow your toes out

I prefer to cut the back off the shoe, you can just slip them on and off then.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I had the same thing from a Campagnolo cap. It was just a bit too small for my big head :lol:

You have to loosen the helmet a bit even if the scull cap is thin. If that does not work then it might be because the scull cap is too small or if you cannot loosen the helmet any more then you need a bigger helmet. Or it might be a combination. Maybe you could shave off all your hair (if you have some) but that may negate the benefit of the skull cap. So I would just get a bigger one.