Fulcrum Quattro vs Campag Zonda

Jimx26
Jimx26 Posts: 147
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

Firstly apologies for another wheel thread but I couldn't find a specific answer.

I'm looking to upgrade the poor syncros race where's on my Scott Cr1 and have narrowed it down to the quattro or zonda's.
I can get the quattro's with inner tubes and tyres for a shade over £200 or the Zonda's for around £230 with out tyres.
Would I notice a huge difference between the 2? Are the Zobda's worth the extra over the quattro's?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    the quattro's ae 200g lighter. The hub in the Zonda is different and should give longer bearing life but the bearing kits are more expensive.

Will you notice yese will it make a difference no.

What is so poor about the wheels you have ae they breaking spokes if so you may or may not fair better with the choices you have picked.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    the quattro's ae 200g lighter. The hub in the Zonda is different and should give longer bearing life but the bearing kits are more expensive.

What is so poor about the wheels you have ae they breaking spokes if so you may or may not fair better with the choices you have picked.

The Quattros are heavier not lighter, you probably typed that backwards by accident.

Also, the bearings are not very expensive in the Zondas (I don't know about Quattro ones), of course if you end up having to replace the cups and cones it can add up a bit more.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/hubs-hub-skewers-hub-spares-campagnolo-hb-re023-ball-bearing-ring-for-o-size-hubseach/camphubz120000000000 ...four of those to do both wheels is only £15

I agree with spoke breaking on wheels like this, but as long as the OP isn't a big guy or a fatty then this shouldn't be a problem.

OP, you won't find much bad said about Zondas, stacks of great reviews. Quattros aren't so widely praised. Zondas are extremely popular.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Campag own Fulcrum - they are basically the same company. The Zondas are near identical to the Fulcrum 3s, which you could argue are one up from the quattros.
  • Jimx26

Thanks all for the replies :)

I was swayed towards the quattro's as they came with tyres and tubes but think the zonda' may be the way to go.

I have had lots of trouble with the syncros, they needed trueing out of the box and have been trued a further 2 times, although this may have been due to me weighing 93kg now down to 87 :)
    Also had a spoke break and a couple of nipples come loose, I have come to the conclusion they are cursed!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Yes I typed it backwards. A full service kit of the Zonda wheels that means bearing, cups and cones is 40 quid per wheel. The Campagnolo code is hb-re100. The bearings are cheap but changing them by themselves does not aways mean a buttery smooth hub. The bearings however being the same as in record hubs they might outlast the rims.

The fulcrum Quattro's are not highly praised because they feel heavier but those 200g add up to jack shit even on a climb but you can feel it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, agree with the above, I think the replacement cup/cone price for Zondas is a red herring. If they are kept well serviced (no play and well cleaned/greased) which cup/cone design allows, then the rims should wear out long before the hubs. Worn rim = bin.

Zondas are better than Quattros, but there really is not much in it. After all, the 200g in weight won't massively improve the speed of someone weighing 90kg...or even 65kg. Quattros usually appear in sentences with the word bombproof, same as Fulcrum 7s.

TBH, it is not the right time of year to be buying wheels unless you need them (or have enough of your current wheels, which looks to be the case). If your stock wheels still work, then run them into the ground or perhaps at least give them one more chance? When it is blowing a NE at 20mph and piffing with rain, the quality of wheels doesn't really seem to matter too much.
  • Jimx26
    Yepp, agree with the above, I think the replacement cup/cone price for Zondas is a red herring. If they are kept well serviced (no play and well cleaned/greased) which cup/cone design allows, then the rims should wear out long before the hubs. Worn rim = bin.

Zondas are better than Quattros, but there really is not much in it. After all, the 200g in weight won't massively improve the speed of someone weighing 90kg...or even 65kg. Quattros usually appear in sentences with the word bombproof, same as Fulcrum 7s.

TBH, it is not the right time of year to be buying wheels unless you need them (or have enough of your current wheels, which looks to be the case). If your stock wheels still work, then run them into the ground or perhaps at least give them one more chance? When it is blowing a NE at 20mph and piffing with rain, the quality of wheels doesn't really seem to matter too much.

I was thinking of buying now as prices seem to be a bit cheaper this time of year but I won't be fitting them until spring as I will mainly use the turbo unless it's fine ( I'm still nervous about the wet after separating my shoulder)

Think I will plump for the Zonda's but one final Q will they be ok with 25mm tyres?
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Yes they will be fine, both sets will take 25mm. For what it's worth I have a set of the Quattros and have been very pleased with them. Only done around 2k miles on them but they have taken some fairly big hits and are perfectly true. I run them with GP4000s tyres at around 80psi front and 90psi rear (I weigh around 83kgs) and I have yet to get a puncture on them up to now. Good value wheels IMO but the Zondas will be great as well, nearly bought some myself before choosing the Quattros because they suited my bike better and I'm not much of a weight weenie.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Jimx26
    Yes they will be fine, both sets will take 25mm. For what it's worth I have a set of the Quattros and have been very pleased with them. Only done around 2k miles on them but they have taken some fairly big hits and are perfectly true. I run them with GP4000s tyres at around 80psi front and 90psi rear (I weigh around 83kgs) and I have yet to get a puncture on them up to now. Good value wheels IMO but the Zondas will be great as well, nearly bought some myself before choosing the Quattros because they suited my bike better and I'm not much of a weight weenie.

I must admit I do prefer the look of the quattro's, hmmm decisions, decisions...
  • What did you plump for in the end?
    I've just bought some Zondas on ribble (£220 seemed too good to pass up on).
    I bought some quattros earlier in the year. I have really liked them, great upgrade from the stock wheels that came on the bike and seem a lot faster. May turn out to be foolish/frivolous, but the plan was to sell the quattros seeing as they are still low milage to offset the cost.

My main reason for changing was that I didn't like the 35mm rims in the wind. The hills and moors round Lancs/Peaks can be quite exposed so I want to try similar spec wheel with shallower rims. The reduced weight is a slight bonus, but for a 70kg rider, I don't think I'll notice the difference that much.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Sorry to Hijack the thread, but do the Zondas come with a wider rim like the Quattro's?

Am looking for a decent training wheel for next year and want a wider rim.

Was considering the Fulcrum 3's but don't like the white hubs, am not keen on the G3 spoke pattern in the rear wheel on the Zonda's but can overlook that if they are a better wheel than the Quattro's and also come with the wider rim.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Zonda's are 20.5mm wide (15mm internal) The older Quattro's are 20.5mm (15mm internal)

The newest 2016 Quattro LGs are 24.2mm (17mm internal)
  • The newest 2016 Quattro LGs are 24.2mm (17mm internal)

No, they don't appear to be 24.2mm wide. My digital calipers put my set at about 22.5mm wide (outer width at brake track, the widest point of the rim).
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I replaced my Quattros with Zondas. In real terms there is a negligible difference in the two of them. The Zondas do feel a bit more lively but my strava segments or average speeds arent showing any difference betwen the two (same tubes and tyres were fitted to both) I bought the zondas purely because I got a great deal on them last year and I love the look of them. The Quattros were 2 years old and had approx 10k kms on them and never gave me one moments bother, they were still both 100% straight/true when I sold them. Theyre a great all round wheel and I would happily buy a set again. Go with which ever you like the look of the best!
  • What about Fulcrum Racing 5s, lighter than the Quattro's and cheaper than both. In fact, I was thinking of switching my fulcrum 3's to 5 LGs as weight difference minimal (old 3's not far off weight wise to new 5s) and they come with the wider LG rim so you can run 25s at a bit lower pressure. Consensus seems to be this is both faster and more comfortable (marginal probably). You can pick up 5's for £160 and spend balance on decent tyres.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • Never had a moment's trouble with any Fulcrum, ever. Have to say, if I were buying right now, I might not look beyond the 5. Within 100g of any of the £400 wheels on the market. Nice width. Good bearings generally. Arguably better value than the Zonda in a lot of ways.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Mind, I'd also be tempted to think about these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-32mm-alloy-clincher-road-wheelset/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.