New wheels for single speed

paulwood
paulwood Posts: 231
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking for a new wheel set for my old Condor Pista. Front rim is worn out, rear bearings are shot.

Gets used as a winter training bike and for running round town when I don't want to take anything else.

Need a flip flop hub. Cheap and reliable is good. Able to take 25mm tyres.

Looking at http://singlespeedcomponents.co.uk/products/ssc-workhorse-flip-flop-wheel-black?variant=1072417528

Can anyone suggest an alternative or is this a good deal?

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Novatec make pretty good hubs and they do a flip-flop version which is cheaper than the SuperStar one you link to. In fact you can get a pair on eBay for much less than the SS one. Search "Novatec fixed hub" on eBay.

EDIT: Apologies, I just noticed the SS is for the whole wheel so not such a bad deal. You might still want to consider the Novatec hubs though. The Cycle Clinic could probably advise on building them up and do you a deal though.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I bought a pair of Weinmann DP18's for exactly the same purpose as the OP. They were s/hand but barely used and run really smoothly.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPWEIDP18/weinmann-dp18-on-fixed-free-miche-pr1mato-track-wheelset
  • paulwood
    Thanks for the suggestions. Must check the rear hub spacing, can't remember if it is 120mm or 130mm.
  • I bought a pair of Weinmann DP18's for exactly the same purpose as the OP. They were s/hand but barely used and run really smoothly.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPWEIDP18/weinmann-dp18-on-fixed-free-miche-pr1mato-track-wheelset

And at 2.5 Kg they are not even that heavy!

SS is where you can save the most weight, using the thinnest spokes you can afford, yet people prefer to buy a couple of anchors and get some superlight wheels for the geared bike, where you shouldn't save weight in view of the dish
    left the forum March 2023
  • paulwood
    I don't really need light though. Cheap, reliable, light, pick any two I will go for cheap and reliable
  • I don't really need light though. Cheap, reliable, light, pick any two I will go for cheap and reliable

Cheap being 80 quid I reckon light and reliable is more likely to happen than cheap and reliable.
    It's not that by adding more weight you make a wheel more reliable... you just make it heavier. You might make it unreliable by subtracting too much weight, but between 2.5 Kg and 1.5 Kg there is quite a lot of weight to accelerate.

I had a pair of DB 18 rims mounted on some generic hubs that came with the Croix de fer. They were dreadful

Of course if the budget is < 100 quid, then heavy has to be
    left the forum March 2023
  • paulwood
    You are probably right. Sadly for these wheels it has to be cheap.

I could always convince myself that riding a heavy bike over winter will help the training :-)