Carbon clincher wheelset choice

obj2000uk
obj2000uk Posts: 35
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice and real world user feedback regarding the choice between the following CLINCHER wheelsets:

- Zipp 303 (2016 model with the 77/177 hubs)

- Mavic 40C

- Reynolds Assault SLG

These are for my 2014 R3. I'm currently using Mavic Kysrium SLRs (125 edition) which I intend to keep as a climbing wheelset for trips to the Alps etc so the new wheelset will be used more in my local rolling terrain, plus the Peak District and the Lakes.

There's a pretty big price difference between the 3 models I'm choosing between - the best prices I have seen here are around £1350 for the 303s, £1100 for the 40c, and £850 for the Assaults.

Is it worth paying up for the Zipps?
Any clearance problems on the Cervelo when using a Schwalbe One 25mm tyre on any of them?

Your views would be much appreciated!
Thanks, Rich.

Comments

• Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice and real world user feedback regarding the choice between the following CLINCHER wheelsets:

- Zipp 303 (2016 model with the 77/177 hubs)

- Mavic 40C

- Reynolds Assault SLG

These are for my 2014 R3. I'm currently using Mavic Kysrium SLRs (125 edition) which I intend to keep as a climbing wheelset for trips to the Alps etc so the new wheelset will be used more in my local rolling terrain, plus the Peak District and the Lakes.

There's a pretty big price difference between the 3 models I'm choosing between - the best prices I have seen here are around £1350 for the 303s, £1100 for the 40c, and £850 for the Assaults.

Is it worth paying up for the Zipps?
    Any clearance problems on the Cervelo when using a Schwalbe One 25mm tyre on any of them?

Your views would be much appreciated!
    Thanks, Rich.

Could I throw in another choice for you? I own a pair of the Miche SWR RC carbon clinchers. I used them through summer, including a great descent down Monte Grappa, and have performed superbly.

http://road.cc/content/review/122172-miche-swr-full-carbon-rc-clincher-wheels
  • I had the same shortlist earlier this year and got Zipp 303's

I test rode 40C's for a weekend but didn't like them. Can't really explain why, they just felt a bit flat.

A local shop agreed a big discount on the Zipps so I went for them rather than the Assaults. Plus a bloke in my club had 303's and was really positive about them.

The Zipps have been great, I rode them all summer. They're quick off the mark, great at holding speed, braking is decent and I've had no issues when it's been windy.

I'd definitely recommend them.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Sure about going for carbons in Peaks/Lakes? Your far more likely to melt one on a steep descent like Hardknott than you would be in the Alps. Plus its more likely to rain and you will notice the hit in braking performance especially compared to the Exalith surface on your SLRs.
  • Sure about going for carbons in Peaks/Lakes? Your far more likely to melt one on a steep descent like Hardknott than you would be in the Alps. Plus its more likely to rain and you will notice the hit in braking performance especially compared to the Exalith surface on your SLRs.

If you use Swiss Stop Black Prince carbon braking performance is nearly as good as alloy. And it would only be cheap carbon clinchers that would melt – hard braking on my Miche's hasn't been a problem
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Some of those look a little heavy.
    Fulcrum zero carbon clinchers are admitedly shallower at only 30mm depth but weigh in at 1358g.
  • Sure about going for carbons in Peaks/Lakes? Your far more likely to melt one on a steep descent like Hardknott than you would be in the Alps. Plus its more likely to rain and you will notice the hit in braking performance especially compared to the Exalith surface on your SLRs.

And it would only be cheap carbon clinchers that would melt

Not always the case I'm afraid.

Is the jury still out on zipps 177 hub?
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • A quick google will reveal you can still find the last version of the 303s to have the adjustable hubs for around £1100 which is what I'd get (well, I'd get 404's but lets stick to your short list :wink: ). They are fine hubs and the best rims of the ones you're looking at. I'd steer clear of the earlier adjustable ones with the radial drive side rear wheel but the final V9 version, no problem.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Some of those look a little heavy.
    Fulcrum zero carbon clinchers are admitedly shallower at only 30mm depth but weigh in at 1358g.

Those wheels are a wheel I don't understand, surely they're a bit pointless. Regular zeros weigh something like 1440g(?) which isn't a big difference and you don't get all the disadvantages of a carbon rim.
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    Anyone in this range not considering the Campagnolo Bora/Fulcrum Racing Speed (called Quattro for 2016) equivalent is about to make a mistake.
  • Anyone in this range not considering the Campagnolo Bora/Fulcrum Racing Speed (called Quattro for 2016) equivalent is about to make a mistake.
    Ditto with Vision Metron 40
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I had a similar decision to make earlier this year and I chose the Reynolds.

1. They are easily rebuilt should the need arise. New spokes/hubs for example.
    2. The warranty and customer service is superb. A club mate had a set replaced under warranty without issue when they could have quite easily wiggled out of it. This was the complete opposite experience another club mate had with Zipps where they distanced themselves from him and issue as quickly as possible and left him with a useless set of wheels.
    3. They aren't Zipps. :wink:
  • 12 posts in till someone mentions Chinese carbon...
  • I agree with mfin - can't see the point of paying big bucks for some shallow carbon clinchers when the likes of Dura-Ace 9000 wheels are 1380g and £500. If you're not getting a noticeable aero benefit you've got to really want a black brake track on your bike! For The Peaks and Lakes the Dura-Ace wheels are a good option, and something deeper like a 404 would be better for rolling terrain, but I guess you ended up considering mid depth options in trying to find a compromise so fair enough.

I tried some Assaults and found they arrived out of true and the freehub didn't engage properly when they felt like it, nearly chucking me over the bars on one occasion. I also thought the braking, while good, wasn't as good as the Zipps. If you don't get a Friday afternoon pair like I did I'm sure they are a fine wheel and it saves a useful wedge of cash if funds are limited but IMO the Zipps are worth £300 extra. My faulty Reynolds got returned.

In case it's a factor for the OP it's worth noting with the Reynolds that the 25mm parallel brake tracks don't work with some older groupsets. It was ok on my Ultegra 6800 bike but my D-A 7800 race bike couldn't accommodate them as the brake pads could not be set parallel to the tracks as there isn't enough up/down angle adjustment in the pad holders. Also the rear brake had to have the cable a bit too slack (calliper completely open) to fit the wheels in at all. I couldn't set them to get normal lever travel before the brakes hit the rim, it was all just too tight. The Zipps have angled tracks which work fine with both and the Mavics are narrower so there is no issue.
  • Royles have 2016 202, 303 and 404 for £1200

http://www.royles.biz/c/5075/Clincher
  • They are fine hubs and the best rims of the ones you're looking at. I'd steer clear of the earlier adjustable ones with the radial drive side rear wheel but the final V9 version, no problem.

Over all of these issues then? http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12930058 (genuine question!)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    edited November 2015
    I'm not here to defend them (other wheels are available!) and others on here know much more about wheels than I do, but my understanding is that the issue was with the radial spoking on the drive side in the 88/188 V8 and earlier wheels which overstressed them causing fatigue cracks.

The 2015 V9 wheels changed to crossed spokes on the rear drive side and the hubs were beefed up a bit generally so my understanding (and experience) is that anything from V9 onwards has got rid of the problem in the post you linked to and are reliable.

The latest 2016 77/177 hubs are supposed to be stronger again (so a bit heavier as more material presumably), do away with the bearing play adjustment, and use slightly heavier built spokes as well so in theory there's even less to go wrong.
  • Good answer, ta.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Have another curve ball. Not used them but a few of my friends have, love and prefer Tokyo Wheels. They have them as tubs but when I have money again for new wheels, could be where I look
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Those Royles offers look excellent. Zipp have had to sot the hub issue and appear to have managed it.

Planet X are doing Hed Jet 5/7 for a grand built on tune hubs which offer pretty much perfect balance of alloy brake track clincher, light weight and very aero. If I wasn't skint I'd've bought a set for Triathlons next year.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Thanks for all the input everyone!
    The Royles deal on the 303s is leading me towards the Zipps (cheers foggymike), but I'll certainly have a look at the alternatives suggested too.
    Interesting that there's been no positive view on the Mavics - does that fact tell me all I need to know about them?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Thanks for all the input everyone!
    The Royles deal on the 303s is leading me towards the Zipps (cheers foggymike), but I'll certainly have a look at the alternatives suggested too.
    Interesting that there's been no positive view on the Mavics - does that fact tell me all I need to know about them?

Mavic make excellent wheels but they may be considered a bit 'vanilla'
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I've got 303's and hed jet 6's as well as training wheels. with the exception of very wet weather, the 303's go on all the time. they do everything very well. note mine are 2012 and I've had them re -hubbed! the heds do not climb at all well but are epic on flat roads.

the more recent 2014 late ---> onwards 303's are supposed to have the better and more reliable hubs. the old 188 hubs were terrible. really bad.

the next set of wheels for me will be 38mm tubulars from Taiwan. i'll be getting the rims and building them up on hope hubs for road racing next year.
  • the old 188 hubs were terrible. really bad.

Tell me about it. My LBS have sold quite a few sets of 2013 202/303/404 FC's wheels and all the Customers - including myself - died.

In reality (i.e. not on an internet forum) they have never had a single returned wheel with an 'exploding' hub issue.