Crank Brothers Mallet DH

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

How do the Crank Brothers pedals compare to Shimano XT M785 Trail Wide Platform MTB Pedals, I use the Shimano pedals on my general XC bike and quite like them, I would prefer a slightly more gripy surface when un clipped that's why I'm thinking of the CB pedals, so what are they like to clip in and out and what are they like when un clipped ?

I'm thinking of going clipped in on my FS bike which I run flats on rougher trails and think on the Shimano pedals your foot could slip off when un clipped.

Comments

• Don't know how they compare with those Shimano pedals 'cos I've never used them but:

- the engagement is more "vague" than the Shimano, but is also much, much easier - as is release, go for the wider release angle when you put the cleats on your shoes (an extra five degrees depending on orientation)
    - the grip when not clipped in is excellent. Pins can be adjusted to suit and they're more than grippy enough for any "oh shit" moments that you don't clip in (or think that you haven't ;) )
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Would agree the Mallets are more vague aka easier to use than SPDs. Clipping in requires no more than a firm press in the general direction of the pedal and release is more of a tearing than a twisting action. More grippy than SPD trails when not clipped in.

Still prefer SPDs though
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't buy mallets again. Too much float and bearings made of cheese.
    The HT X1 platform spd type pedals are the ones to go for. Good quality bearings and similar feel to the clip to Shimano.