Increasing storage capacity of my mountain bike?

Mortsty
Mortsty Posts: 18
edited November 2015 in MTB beginners
Afternoon everyone,

I am new to cycling (not to say cycling per say but actually getting 'serious' with my bicycle in terms of my mode of transport) and I wish to be able to carry stuff to and from my place of work.

I've read about bike racks but unsure if they will fit and was looking for some advice.

What are my options for increasing storage capacity of my bicycle? I've attached some pictures below which might help as I am a little confused.

I appreciate all your advice :smile:

Samuel

p.s I have tried uploading photos on here but with no luck so I have put them on facebook for those to see(?)

https://www.facebook.com/samuel.mor...0208069052994032.1073741843.1530746244&type=3

Comments

• You needs rack mounts for panniers.

If you don't have them you can get a post mounted one. But loads will be less.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Panniers for ultimate carrying capacity, but they can get muddy if used off-road.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Link doesn't work.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    2TB disks are cheap these days...

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Afternoon everyone,

I am new to cycling (not to say cycling per say but actually getting 'serious' with my bicycle in terms of my mode of transport) and I wish to be able to carry stuff to and from my place of work.

I've read about bike racks but unsure if they will fit and was looking for some advice.

What are my options for increasing storage capacity of my bicycle? I've attached some pictures below which might help as I am a little confused.

I appreciate all your advice :smile:

Samuel

p.s I have tried uploading photos on here but with no luck so I have put them on facebook for those to see(?)

https://www.facebook.com/samuel.mor...0208069052994032.1073741843.1530746244&type=3

What is it , size /weight that you would like to carry
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Copy and pasted post with a truncated link, when will people start to realise you can't do that!

What are you actually using the bike for?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for your replies everyone.

I wish to use the bicycle for various things including carrying camping gear, general food shopping chores, taking produce from my allotment etc

I cant upload photos as they are too big apparently.

Its a GT aggressor mtb.

Samuel
  • cooldad
    So does it have rack mounts?
    You needs rack mounts for panniers.

If you don't have them you can get a post mounted one. But loads will be less.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Thanks for your replies everyone.

I wish to use the bicycle for various things including carrying camping gear, general food shopping chores, taking produce from my allotment etc

Its a GT aggressor mtb.

Samuel

Front and rear panniers on proper racks. When it comes to mounting racks, where there's a will there's a way. Expect to use p-clips if you don't have rack mounts, they're more fiddly but don't seriously reduce the carrying capacity. I occasionally got a week's shopping in them. A good tip is to get things in pairs so that you can have identical loads on each side.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Get some frame bags? And also a large seatpost mounted bag. Really depends on the type of riding you do?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A decent rucksack fits every bike.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Thanks for your replies everyone.

Its a GT aggressor mtb.

Samuel

Your not really quantifying it, I struggled for years to pack my camping gear for a weekend on a motorbike. eventually it occurred to me , that I didn't need more carrying capacity I needed less( smaller/lighter) camping gear and suddenly it became a piece of cake

The range runs from a basket on the front that will carry a few veg and a bottle of milk, to panniers everywhere those those cycling round the world.

I dont know what its like to cycle with 50lbs of veg loaded on a bike, Im not sure I would like to find out
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Get a trailer?

Bob's Yak trailers are good but cheaper ones are available and decent.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Cheers for your replies everyone,

I ended up getting this product: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000H2NIKA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

(Topeak Super Tourist DX Disc Rack)

and I am having trouble fitting it. It appears the bolt which runs through the back wheel/quick release where you attach this product is too short. What can I do to fix this problem?

Many thanks,

Samuel
  • cooldad
    Post a picture of the fitting - I can't visualise what you mean.

Or get a longer bolt.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools