Need A Stiff Road Frame

JC14
JC14 Posts: 29
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hey guys will really apreciate feedback/personal experience.

I currently own a 2014 Merida Scultura 905, I feel the frame flexing under power. I am considering buying a frame and stripping my current gear off it and on to the new frame. Looking at something under $2000. Interested in aero frames, just after a stiff riding frame. Giant Tcr/propel?

Thanks Guys :)

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You sure it's the frame flexing and not the wheels? What are they and how much do you weigh? Best bet for stiff frame on a budget is the Scott Foil.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Scott Foil, Canyon Aeroad. The stiffest non aero frame I've ridden is a Basso Astro
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The first thing to ask yourself is what is the evidence that a stiffer frame improves power transfer. There is none that I have found. A really flexible frame would sap some energy but most modern frames are stiff enough that this should not be an issue. Flexing of the frame is not energy lost most of it if not 90+% of it will come back at the rider. The amount of energy used in flexing the frame is uncertain as well it is likely to be miminal compared to the total energy expended.

To give an example fairwheel bikes in the U.S did some modeling on cranks and they found the difference is energy or Power used in flexing the cranks was less than 1% between the best and the worst they tried at 300W.

Translate that to the frame and I think it nonsense that frame flex affect your speed or power transfer. It maybe received wisdom but the problem much received wisdom has no evidence that backs it up. It may have some influcene on handling although that will be quite subjective.

I write this so if you do change your frame you change it for the right reasons.

You may of course not be worried about power transfer but when flex gets mentioned that is what I infer.
    https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-and-testing/road-bike-crank-testing/
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1 on the flexy frame making bugger all difference. If indeed it is flexy.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Ahh, but read the cycling press :)

I think the last bit I read about a stiff bike was along the lines "the frame is fantastically stiff which meant that the bike surged forward with every press of the pedal making climbing effortless". That kind of thing. Teehee.
  • Ahh, but read the cycling press :)

I think the last bit I read about a stiff bike was along the lines "the frame is fantastically stiff which meant that the bike surged forward with every press of the pedal making climbing effortless". That kind of thing. Teehee.

Had they compared it to an early Planet-X boingy frame?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I've heard that German road bikes tend to be very stiff- I've heard they like to feel every pimple of the road (they also have smooth roads- allegedly) and their bike magazines were obsessed with stiffness to weight.

The downside is you might get beaten up on normal UK roads.
  • JC14
    Yeah its probably the wheels, as when I sprint they tend to rub slightly on the brake pads. The weels are Fulcrum Racing 7s. Bottom of the range $200 job. The freehub has needed to be replaced twice and they have only done 8000km. Opions please :D
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Yeah its probably the wheels, as when I sprint they tend to rub slightly on the brake pads. The weels are Fulcrum Racing 7s. Bottom of the range $200 job. The freehub has needed to be replaced twice and they have only done 8000km. Opions please :D

Budget please!

Campag Zondas are good in the medium priced factory wheels.
  • JC14
    Budget is up to $1500 aud
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Simple. Just buy an early Alan aluminium bike and afterwards everything will feel like it's made of girders ! Lol
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Simple. Just buy an early Alan aluminium bike and afterwards everything will feel like it's made of girders ! Lol

Yepp, I've got an '89 Alan Competition and the BB feels like it is made of Swiss cheese! Funny thing is though, some of my fastest times up the local hills on Strava were when riding that bike... :wink:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have a early (1980) Alan bike and it stiff next to a vitus 979. I have some good TT times on my old Alan.

If you are hitting pads when sprinting you have your pads too close. I have some very stiff wheels but if I set my pads to close even these will rub. Maybe trying backing the pads of a bit and just ride.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.