Fox 2015 vs 2016

Cupotea
Cupotea Posts: 42
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help with a quick question RE Fox forks.

I'm looking for some 120mm forks and the 2 options are:

Fox Factory 32 Float 2015 (£400) or Fox Float 32 2016 (with the new FIT4 gubbins) (£500)

The dilemma is the 2015 come with the Kashima coating, but the FIT4 internals on the 2016 with standard coating are rumored to be far superior in resisting wallowing through their travel.

At the moment I have the 2015 on order but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra £100 for the newer internals even if it means missing out on the lovely coating. Any comments?

Comments

• penski
    penski Posts: 124
    I've been keeping a close eye on reviews and experiences of the 2016 - I would personally go with the 2016 model as the new FIT4 damper will make a far greater difference than the coating.
  • I would probably reccommend getting the 2016 Fit 4 version.

I have got the 2015 120mm Float 32 performance forks. I have never ridden a Kashima Coated Fox fork but after my first 30 hr service don't notice any stiction with my anodised ones.

Overall I am quite happy with them but don't get as much out of the fork as I should. Mine came with my bike but I wouldn't reccommend buying them on their own. The Factory fork does have extra adjustment in trail mode but I am not convinced it would sort the niggles I have.

Descend mode lacks support, is prone to break dive and ironically I only use it occasionally on difficult climbs when I am knackered. Trail mode has slightly poor small bump sensitivity and Irrespective of set up I struggle to get more than 100m travel for my weight. ( 220lb kitted out ). If I reduce pressure I get more travel but also more sag and brake dive. I assume a slightly bigger air chamber or loosing 25 lb in weight would help here.

The new fit 4 fork should, in theory, correct all these issues. I would assume just the addition of an air negative spring rather than the 2015 coil one would easily negate the advantage of the Kashima coating.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if its just a XC fork also consider the RS sid RCT3
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Kashima makes a tiny difference compared to the standard coating. The FiT4 damper is a big improvement over the old CTD damper.