Armstrong's Sponsors

2»

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    It is pretty clear that the likes of Trek have built a brand 10 times the size on the back of him. US Postal is a dodgy word but who gives a monkey's?

Everyone won. And even after its all finished everyone will have won.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    I find it darkly amusing the idea that Armstrong caused reputational damage to the US Postal Service. Previously they had been synonymous with disgruntled employees going on killing sprees.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I find it darkly amusing the idea that Armstrong caused reputational damage to the US Postal Service. Previously they had been synonymous with disgruntled employees going on killing sprees.

That's The American Way. Normal.

Its perfectly fine to go on a college rampage killing 65 kids, or serial killing 25 people with a gun.

But a cheating doper...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    have to say the reason I ride a Trek is because LA had just won Le Tour on won. Had no idea what bikes were good and bad and so used the entry model from Trek as they had just won. Liked the bike and went on to get a Madone again it was still winning Le Tour at the time.

As a fan of LA at the time I bought USPS and Disco gear from Nike too.

Yes I was a fan until my eyes were opened but cant see any reason for giving back the sponsor money apart from the bonus thing he went to court over
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I still say the biggest recipient of Cycle Race Sponsorship is Deutsche Telekom and now known as T-Mobile.
    A little Telephone/Mailing company whose PED Drug Team cleaned up the 1996 & 1997 Tour de France and they then were able to Brag that they were as well known worldwide as Cocoa Cola.

While the cycling world was getting all misty eyed for the good old clean days of Banesto...
    Your right that Banesto were before EPO - Deutsche Telekom or Gewiss.
    Don't confuse EPO with the whole range of Drugs in use in all sports and that EPO took Performances to a very much higher level than any drugs before.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    It is pretty clear that the likes of Trek have built a brand 10 times the size on the back of him. US Postal is a dodgy word but who gives a monkey's?

Everyone won. And even after its all finished everyone will have won.
    Spot on.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Its funny i purposely avoided trek because of their armstrong link, I know others have done it also despite me thinking the domain design is awesome there will always be a stigma attached to them for me. Although I do appreciate that more people probably bought them than didn't because of armstrong but they aren't as common as you might expect them to be, tend to see more specializeds and giants than treks but i doubt they there is really much to call between the performance of them
  • Its funny i purposely avoided trek because of their armstrong link, I know others have done it also despite me thinking the domain design is awesome there will always be a stigma attached to them for me. Although I do appreciate that more people probably bought them than didn't because of armstrong but they aren't as common as you might expect them to be, tend to see more specializeds and giants than treks but i doubt they there is really much to call between the performance of them

ditto so did I...but I hypocritically bought a Bianchi because of Ullrich and Pantani #cuddlyandfluffydopers
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Saw a guy out in the Ullrich 2003 Bianchi kit the other day - still looks great.
    2003_12_10-ullrich_shocks-1min36sec.jpg
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Saw a guy out in the Ullrich 2003 Bianchi kit the other day - still looks great.

Funny they thought he was fat though. At the Tour he was always pretty ripped. Aesthetically the best bloke to ride a TT bike. I almost cried when choppy LA caught Ullrich on a prologue on one of the Tours. :/

I suppose I could ask who's got these specs? ;)

oakley_lance_armstrong-300x194.jpg
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    No wonder he only did one Tour a year; busy Bee! :D

lancearmstrong1.jpg

Endorsement6.jpg

antioxidantsx.jpg

nissan_lance_leaf_02.jpg

nike-livestrong.jpeg
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Saw a guy out in the Ullrich 2003 Bianchi kit the other day - still looks great.
    imagine a gt contender being that big now!! interesting how the change in drugs has changed the shape of the riders
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,696
    imagine a gt contender being that big now!! interesting how the change in drugs has changed the shape of the riders

I've said it a lot on here - his chest got a lot bigger as he got older. Jan 6 years before that pic

65087.gif
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,696
    Or even younger (1996)

ullrich_pina_tour_96.jpg
  • Yes he does look a bit of a unit on that Bianchi and his position/posture looks better on the Pinarello. I can't see him carrying a water bottle on his back like in that recent VanMarcke GIF but riders (and fans) are so much more aware of the importance of position on a TT bike these days with everyone having bike fit.

I still like watching footage of Ullrich, by Christ he could turn a big gear and he did look the business in celeste
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition