newbie question - Hope hub types

Rider j
Rider j Posts: 3
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
hi all yet newbie here, :lol:
Im after a stronger rear hub for my general trails bike and am looking at a few different hope pro II's on fleabay, im abit confussed though as one is branded hope hoops pro II and the other is branded hope pro II evo? is one a road model or just and older spec? oh and what are these things like on the noise front when freewheeling?

Cheers all

Comments

• Pro 2 doesn't have the option to replace end caps to accommodate different axle sizes.

Pro 2 Evo does have the option to replace end caps to accommodate different axle sizes.

Loud with a capital F!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    There is also a newer ish version of the pro 2 evo (40t) which has 40 points of engagement as opposed to 20 something on the older one.. Supposed to be quieter than the older one but it still sounds like a shark on the and of a deep sea fishing reel when free wheeling.
  • sweet cheers guys
    john
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Pro 2 doesn't have the option to replace end caps to accommodate different axle sizes.

Pro 2 Evo does have the option to replace end caps to accommodate different axle sizes.

Loud with a capital F!

Not actually true. The ProII was convertable (and still is) to different axle standards. It did come with a QR axle as standard, so to convert to say 142x12 you need a new axle and end caps, where as the Pro II Evo runs a 12mm axle as standard and only requires the end caps changing. There were a few other small internal changes with the Evo version, mainly bearing layout and a revised outer diameter on the centre of the axle so to better support Maxle Lite.

The hubs marked up as Hope Hoops came from a wheelset rather than being bought as an individual hub. Apart from that, there is no difference between a hub marked Pro II Hope Hoops and a hub marked Pro II (Same for the Evo version).

As Matyfez has pointed out, the latest version of a Pro II Evo will be marked 40t and this does run a little quieter and picks up on engagement quicker.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Supposed to be quieter than the older one but it still sounds like a shark on the and of a deep sea fishing reel when free wheeling.

That would be a Shimano reel then.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Also make sure you get the right size for your wheel as there is 135, 142 even 148 boost type and 150mm downhill specific hope pro 2 hubs.
  • RevellRider
    Also make sure you get the right size for your wheel as there is 135, 142 even 148 boost type and 150mm downhill specific hope pro 2 hubs.

135mm and 142mm hubs are the same shell in both Pro II and Pro II Evo, it's the axle end cap distance that differs. If you get the wrong sort it's not an expensive part to change .
  • swod1
    135mm and 142mm hubs are the same shell in both Pro II and Pro II Evo, it's the axle end cap distance that differs. If you get the wrong sort it's not an expensive part to change .

I hope this is the correct as looking for a replacement rear wheel and there is some 142 X 12mm at good price, so if I buy the quick release conversion kit it will fit my 135mm frame?

Does the axle need to be changed or not at the same time?
  • RevellRider
    Pro II Evo is just an end cap swap. It'll cost about 13 quid.

If it is an original Pro II, I'd swap the axle too. They are known to break when ran with something like a Maxle Lite skewer through them, so a standard QR would have the same effect
  • swod1
    Pro II Evo is just an end cap swap. It'll cost about 13 quid.

If it is an original Pro II, I'd swap the axle too. They are known to break when ran with something like a Maxle Lite skewer through them, so a standard QR would have the same effect

It is a Pro 2 Evo so would just need the end caps swapped over, however the deal I got for the rear wheel includes the front which is 20mm through axle.

So is it the same for the front just swap end caps?

My forks are quick release but upgraded this to 9mm quick release axle which is much stiffer than QR.
  • RevellRider
    It is a Pro 2 Evo so would just need the end caps swapped over, however the deal I got for the rear wheel includes the front which is 20mm through axle.

So is it the same for the front just swap end caps?

My forks are quick release but upgraded this to 9mm quick release axle which is much stiffer than QR.

Yeah, just end caps for the pair of them. Hopes part numbers are HUB443 for the front wheel and HUB238 for the rear.
  • swod1
    Yeah, just end caps for the pair of them. Hopes part numbers are HUB443 for the front wheel and HUB238 for the rear.

thanks, I am thinking of going to 10mm quick release axle to add some stiffness to my rear wheel over standard quick release axle which I think are too thin.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Standard rear QR axles are 10mm, just hollow to fit the skewer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RevellRider
    Standard rear QR axles are 10mm, just hollow to fit the skewer.

The internal dia of a QR axle is only around 5mm, the external dia is the 10mm. Swod1 is thinking about going to a 10mm dia QR skewer.

The part required to do this is HUB239
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I know that, but the thickness of both is 10mm. The skewer just holds the wheel on.i
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools