Reliable battery for Cree T6 style lamps

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Afternoon guys,

Firstly I am aware there's a very large thread on bike lights, but I simply do not have time to trawl through and decide which to go for.

A few years ago I tried on of the popular Cree T6 lights which I loved... until the battery caught fire whilst at work. In the bin it went.

I would go for a similar set up again, providing I can find one with a reliable, good quality battery pack.

To be honest im open to options on the light itself, as im sure there are many newer and better designs now.

I do ride on completely unlit lanes though, hence the need for brightness!

If anyone could kindly put up any links to something that will fit the bill, that would be great. Please :)

Comments

• gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311141316524?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    Under £13 for the whole set, battery, charger, headband etc
    Takes a long time for delivery though.
    Not quite as good as the metal original lamp but still good enough
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Got more battery packs than i care to count but the Trustfire ones tend to be decent (in runtimes achieved and waterproofing). As always, don't overdrain a Li-Ion battery pack (or it may refuse to charge and catch fire) and don't leave them charged at 100% (or they'll rot internally and you'll lose 30% of it's capacity every year). Either keep the battery topped up at 70% (safe and non-rotting) or charge the battery to 100% immediately before you plan to use it.

As for lights themselves, there are probably too many to choose from these days. But whichever one you go for it's better to get just the head unit itself. Preferably something with the latest Cree XM-L2 or XP-L emitters.
  • Cheers guys,

The Trustfire battery.... does that come with a charger??
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    mtbbatteries.co.uk - reliable and reasonably priced. Many Chinese chargers don't comply with EU electrical safety requirements.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • As always, don't overdrain a Li-Ion battery pack (or it may refuse to charge and catch fire) and don't leave them charged at 100% (or they'll rot internally and you'll lose 30% of it's capacity every year). Either keep the battery topped up at 70% (safe and non-rotting) or charge the battery to 100% immediately before you plan to use it.

I bought one of these when my T6's battery cable snapped;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5000Lm-2x-CREE-XM-L-U2-LED-Front-Headlamp-Bicycle-Bike-Light-Torch-Headlight-/271686245623?hash=item3f41c31cf7:g:uEQAAOSwu-BWOwXg

I read a horror story last year about these non CE marked chinese batteries but figured if it was truly an issue then the forums would have lots more posts about the subject of fire and explosion!

I have however been rather cautious when charging the battery and would like something a little more worry free!

I will bear in mind the advice given above as I regularly drain the battery to 0% due to the length of rides I do. In future I will just switch to my backup light when the battery gets below 30% or so.

Is there such a Battery that is genuinely CE marked for these lights (and doesnt cost over £100!)?
  • mtbbatteries.co.uk - reliable and reasonably priced. Many Chinese chargers don't comply with EU electrical safety requirements.

Just checked that site... if I can find a compatible battery I may be tempted to go through them and buy one, like you said, reasonably priced!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mtbbatteries.co.uk - reliable and reasonably priced. Many Chinese chargers don't comply with EU electrical safety requirements.

Another shout for mtbbatteries here..
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I bought one of these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281796868485?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

One of these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261586391328?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And scrounged 6 x 18650 batteries from an old laptop battery. I've just finished night shift this morning, so I used it to and from work all week. Around 4 hours use from 4 batteries, mostly low setting, probably around 50 minutes total on high
  • Got more battery packs than i care to count but the Trustfire ones tend to be decent (in runtimes achieved and waterproofing). As always, don't overdrain a Li-Ion battery pack (or it may refuse to charge and catch fire) and don't leave them charged at 100% (or they'll rot internally and you'll lose 30% of it's capacity every year). Either keep the battery topped up at 70% (safe and non-rotting) or charge the battery to 100% immediately before you plan to use it.

As for lights themselves, there are probably too many to choose from these days. But whichever one you go for it's better to get just the head unit itself. Preferably something with the latest Cree XM-L2 or XP-L emitters.

Thanks for the heads-up RE Trustfire - have been looking for a replacement battery for my spare winter light (Cree T6 or similar) since the original and charger don't fill me with any confidence.

What sort of runtime do you achieve with the Trustfire batteries? And as below, do they come with a charger?

Thanks in advance
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    why not try to find a different lamp altogether?
    I ride unlit back country lanes including a short but very bumpy 6-7% downhill stretch where I reach high 30s during the day/pedalling hard.
    I don't know how your eyesight is but I can still hit 30mph comfortably using a 25lux Sigma PAVA (4xAA), unlike the cree lights the beam is focussed far better though is much less light overall.
    Something like the Philips Saferide 80 does the job well but the mounts can be a bit iffy and are expensive, I'd recommend a Busch and Muller IxonIQ Premium http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/busch-mueller-ixon-iq-premium-led-accumulator-headlamp-139355/wg_id-302#ptb-rating There's a good comparator between the std old variant and the newer Premium models
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwM7vDvvGhU
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Got more battery packs than i care to count but the Trustfire ones tend to be decent (in runtimes achieved and waterproofing). As always, don't overdrain a Li-Ion battery pack (or it may refuse to charge and catch fire) and don't leave them charged at 100% (or they'll rot internally and you'll lose 30% of it's capacity every year). Either keep the battery topped up at 70% (safe and non-rotting) or charge the battery to 100% immediately before you plan to use it.

Thanks for the heads-up RE Trustfire - have been looking for a replacement battery for my spare winter light (Cree T6 or similar) since the original and charger don't fill me with any confidence.

What sort of runtime do you achieve with the Trustfire batteries? And as below, do they come with a charger?

Thanks in advance

With my old twin head Trustfire TRD 0002 i'd normally get between 2:45hr on full beam (about 2000lumen). With
    my newer XM-L2 based twin head it's closer to 3hrs due to the better power management and use of optics. With my triple headed Trustfire TRD it's about 2:30hrs. Single head units can be longer or shorter depending on the amount of amp draw used (i don't use single headed units much anymore).
  • Got more battery packs than i care to count but the Trustfire ones tend to be decent (in runtimes achieved and waterproofing). As always, don't overdrain a Li-Ion battery pack (or it may refuse to charge and catch fire) and don't leave them charged at 100% (or they'll rot internally and you'll lose 30% of it's capacity every year). Either keep the battery topped up at 70% (safe and non-rotting) or charge the battery to 100% immediately before you plan to use it.

Thanks in advance

With my old twin head Trustfire TRD 0002 i'd normally get between 2:45hr on full beam (about 2000lumen). With
    my newer XM-L2 based twin head it's closer to 3hrs due to the better power management and use of optics. With my triple headed Trustfire TRD it's about 2:30hrs. Single head units can be longer or shorter depending on the amount of amp draw used (i don't use single headed units much anymore).

Thanks Ouija - very helpful.

I think it's worth taking the punt at that sort of price...