New cycle computer... Which route to take..?

gigeorge
gigeorge Posts: 20
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
So my polar cs200cad's straps given up the ghost, third time now, so I fancy something new and as technologies moved along a fair bit since I bought the Polar I wondered what the best route would be to follow.

As I see it, there are two main options:

1) Get a phone (Sony z5 has ant+ is waterproof and can do all in one), strava pro, and a ANT+ heart rate monitor strap (garmin)
2) Get a Garmin edge 1000, strava etc. Get separate phone (need a new one anyway)

Given the amount mobile apps available and how they have moved along in recent years, this seems like the obvious approach to me.. The only con might be accuracy of the figures given(speed/distance etc due to gps inaccuracies).

Id love some reasons for and against so I can make up my mind, your thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers

Comments

• +1 for Garmin.

Super reliable, great battery and plenty of options price-wise.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Depends on how you're wanting to use it. If it's just stuck in a back pocket recording your ride, HR etc a phone would be fine. If you want to mount it on the bars to display speed, mapping, Strava segments etc, I think the Garmin would be a better bet. Mine's certainly proved waterproof and has survived being bounced a few times; pretty certain an iPhone would've broken. I doubt there's a lot in it in terms of GPS technology. Battery life will be better with a Garmin.

Son has a Galaxy S6 mounted in a waterproof case on his bike. It works, but IMO looks ghastly. He's now coveting my Garmin...
  • Depends on how you're wanting to use it. If it's just stuck in a back pocket recording your ride, HR etc a phone would be fine. If you want to mount it on the bars to display speed, mapping, Strava segments etc, I think the Garmin would be a better bet. Mine's certainly proved waterproof and has survived being bounced a few times; pretty certain an iPhone would've broken. I doubt there's a lot in it in terms of GPS technology. Battery life will be better with a Garmin.

Son has a Galaxy S6 mounted in a waterproof case on his bike. It works, but IMO looks ghastly. He's now coveting my Garmin...
    Garmin edge 1000 it is then.. Or 820, if i can live without the russian gps thingy, garmas?!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    First up, try and decide what you want from the device. If it is just a reliable way of tracking the routes you have taken, then Garmin 200, etc., will suffice. If you want to use it in a more structured way, e.g., power, HR, cadence, then Garmin 500/520, etc., If you want to use the device for following routes then Garmin 800/1000, etc.

A phone is always a phone. Just get a cheap £10 PAYG device, stick it in your back pocket and use it to call the missus when you need to explain why you won't be back in time for dinner.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    [quote=
    Garmin edge 1000 it is then.. Or 820, if i can live without the russian gps thingy, garmas?![/quote]

Glonass. My Edge Touring Plus doesn't have it. Occasionally it will take a minute or so to get a GPS fix when I start it up, after that it's fine.
  • [quote=
    Garmin edge 1000 it is then.. Or 820, if i can live without the russian gps thingy, garmas?!

Glonass. My Edge Touring Plus doesn't have it. Occasionally it will take a minute or so to get a GPS fix when I start it up, after that it's fine.[/quote]
    Most 1000 users turn off glonass as it saves battery.

Its still the dogs whatsits anyway. And only £280 or so now. I paid more than that for a Garmin 800 not so long ago.