Noob Question: Do i have shark teeth ?

ram_145
ram_145 Posts: 41
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi. Wonder if you could advise pls, before I go out and buy "What MORE stuff for that dammed bike!".... :lol:

Boardman MTB 26in 2013 - X5 triple upfront x9 9Spd Long @ back - Have never changed chainrings. Bike's done around 3k miles, 80% offroad. Mostly bridlepath/woods etc. Nothing too technical.

Problem: Put on a new cassette and chain last weekend, and when I change into the bottom two-three gears the chain doesnt properly disengage from the chainring and gets sucked up into the ring again.....grinding sound....everyone stops!!

Before I get grief @ home for buying yet more bike stuff! - Would it be cheaper & better in the long run to swap out the lot to something like the Deore M590 ? I go through a horrible FSA bottom bracket around every 4-7months.... :roll: new one has been in for three and already have play in it.

Q; Do I have sharky teeth? - Is there another way of fixing? Or are new rings best bet?
Q: At price of new rings....New chainset seems best way to go.... any other recommendations for a 9Spd that will put up with abuse and clarty/sticky mud? I do want to keep this bike running despite also being in the set for a FS later in the year so this would be my deep mud bike / road training bike in deep winter.

Many thanks!! - All opinions welcome.

Some lovely bike upside down pics for your merriment if so interested!!

RAM

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Granny ring definitely shot, middle looks well worn, large looks OK but looking is never a good test!

New rings, personally yes I'd swap for a Deore HT2, lighter, good rings but the BB isnt as good as the next level up (SLX/XT), so you will probably have to swap after about 9 months, then get the better one.

Have a look on Zee Germans (Rose and bike discount) sites as they can still be a fair bit cheaper due to the weakness of the Euro.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Great thanks. Will look for a HT2 and get it on the bike asap. Appreciate the help.