Is buying a good 26" bike a bad idea?

Big_Jack
Big_Jack Posts: 82
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
I've been offered a Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 for ~£1000 which has just had a full service and has a nice dropper post on it. It would be a needed upgrade from my current Frankenstein's monster of a bike (built out of bits from various friends when I was bored last summer!) centred around a HT fire-eye flame frame. The bike rides OK, but I was feeling ready to upgrade by the end of last summer (it's still trudging along in the winter!).

My main question was, spending £1000 on the Slater 70, is this a bad idea? With the 26" wheel size becoming slightly less in vogue than 29ers and 650b, am I better off saving money and getting a 650b size bike later down the line?

I'd describe my riding type as "varied" - I hack around my local woods as often as I can but don't regularly visit trail centers. I will be next year though. I also have a roadie, not that that should matter ;)

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Jack

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    26" tyres are still readily available and I think there will be enough demand out there for some time to come for decent ones to still be available, we may not get any new moulds, but they can keep the tread compounds updated within that mould.

Looking at picks it looks possible you could run 27.5 wheels/tyres in a slayer frame anyway, a Friend does just that in his '26"' Liteville frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Nothing wrong with 26" and kit is going to be plentiful for a long time. On the other hand, not sure I'd be splashing 1K on a 26. 600, perhaps, but once you get to a thousand... If you plan on keeping the bike for a while then, although kit for 26 is not going away, it is in a sort of replacement phase. Can't imagine anything exciting is going to be happening in that space from now on, so if you want to fettle and upgrade over time you're going to be looking at all that exciting new kit that fits on the bike you might have bought and be wondering if you made the right choice.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Hi all,
    I've been offered a Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 for ~£1000 which has just had a full service and has a nice dropper post on it. It would be a needed upgrade from my current Frankenstein's monster of a bike (built out of bits from various friends when I was bored last summer!) centred around a HT fire-eye flame frame. The bike rides OK, but I was feeling ready to upgrade by the end of last summer (it's still trudging along in the winter!).

My main question was, spending £1000 on the Slater 70, is this a bad idea? With the 26" wheel size becoming slightly less in vogue than 29ers and 650b, am I better off saving money and getting a 650b size bike later down the line?

I'd describe my riding type as "varied" - I hack around my local woods as often as I can but don't regularly visit trail centers. I will be next year though. I also have a roadie, not that that should matter ;)

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Jack

One of the advantages of the fashion in wheels size is that 26'' bikes have dropped considerably in price. but that drop will also extend to you if/when you decided to sell.

So the issue would seem to mostly consist of, if the asking price is sufficiently cheap to make the purchase good value
  • Hi everyone, thank you for the replies it's very much appreciated and handy. I have to say that my gut feeling si that 26" components are unlikely to die out in the lifetime of the bike (maybe 4/5 years).

I suppose my next question then is, has anyone noticed any real-world difference between 26" and 650b sizes that I would be missing out on massively? The way I see it, people rode far beyond my skill on 26" tyres for many many years, so I am not sure that I consider them to be a hinderence? with that in mind, a nice (~£3000) bike when new for £1000 that's only a couple of years old and fully serviced seems like a good investment, unless anyone can think of a reason that this is not a good move for the future?
  • Hi everyone, thank you for the replies it's very much appreciated and handy. I have to say that my gut feeling si that 26" components are unlikely to die out in the lifetime of the bike (maybe 4/5 years).

I suppose my next question then is, has anyone noticed any real-world difference between 26" and 650b sizes that I would be missing out on massively? The way I see it, people road far beyond my skill on 26" tyres for many many years, so I am not sure that I consider them to be a hinderence? with that in mind, a nice (~£3000) bike when new for £1000 that's only a couple of years old and fully serviced seems like a good investment, unless anyone can think of a reason that this is not a good move for the future?

Bear in mind have they fully serviced bearings and suspension components? normally unlikely just before a sale as it can be expensive. Factor in current wear and the replacements of bits due to them wearing out sooner due to being already part warn the gap isn't as huge as you think.

As to 650b vs 26" ridden 2 similar bikes (mondraker dunes) in both sizes I would say the difference is small but noticeable, slightly faster rolling over objects and so on but its a very small difference. But looking out there already there is a fast limiting of forks that are 26" specific and so on. I'd be tempted to save.
  • 650B is not much different then 26, so 26 won't be a hinderance. It is mostly a fashion issue. 26 is a great way to save money and of course the components will be available for decades, but not in fashion at all. Personally I would just find a deal on a 650B or 700. I wouldn't get rid of a perfectly good 26, but I would not buy one either.

I just got a 2013 Giant Trance X 0 on eBay, a full XT bike which had a $4250 USD MSRP, (£2795) for $1525 USD (~£1000) plus $114 shipping. It is in great condition with the only scratch at the ends of the cranks.
  • brianbee
    Hi everyone, thank you for the replies it's very much appreciated and handy. I have to say that my gut feeling si that 26" components are unlikely to die out in the lifetime of the bike (maybe 4/5 years).

I suppose my next question then is, has anyone noticed any real-world difference between 26" and 650b sizes that I would be missing out on massively? The way I see it, people rode far beyond my skill on 26" tyres for many many years, so I am not sure that I consider them to be a hinderence? with that in mind, a nice (~£3000) bike when new for £1000 that's only a couple of years old and fully serviced seems like a good investment, unless anyone can think of a reason that this is not a good move for the future?

I'm very skeptical about it, There is certainty a case that 29ers are better at some aspects than 26er( and obviously worse at others). I view the intermediate size as just being the worst of both worlds It wont match either of the others at the elements they excel at
  • All very good points which do lean towards the "saving for a 650b" approach. But a couple of notes; it's a friend of mine selling it so I do trust that it's been serviced although it would be costly to be stung on that front for a full susser. I do love to tinker with and fettle my bikes although, more often than not, it's fairly minor servicing and overhauls rather than entire new components.

I suppose my main reason for upgrade is to get something "half decent" over the cobbled together bike I am currently riding.

All arguments for waiting for the 650b make sense, so I think that will be my preferred option although I do still think to myself "how much would I actually miss that difference if I got the 26"". Endless question really! I had my eye on a Spech Camber in the summer, so may well keep my eye out for a bargain on one of those.
  • brianbee
    All very good points which do lean towards the "saving for a 650b" approach. But a couple of notes; it's a friend of mine selling it so I do trust that it's been serviced although it would be costly to be stung on that front for a full susser. I do love to tinker with and fettle my bikes although, more often than not, it's fairly minor servicing and overhauls rather than entire new components.

I suppose my main reason for upgrade is to get something "half decent" over the cobbled together bike I am currently riding.

All arguments for waiting for the 650b make sense, so I think that will be my preferred option although I do still think to myself "how much would I actually miss that difference if I got the 26"". Endless question really! I had my eye on a Spech Camber in the summer, so may well keep my eye out for a bargain on one of those.

The friend element, makes it awkward, as you cant really make take it or leave it offer. What is the current market value of the bike ? ie what would you be able to sell for easily in a month, if your circumstances changed ? if that isnt 1000 quid, then definitely leave it alone
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Trouble is the doubt is there. Every time you ride there is going to be that voice telling that maybe a 650/29/28.33* would be better.

*one of these sizes may not exist. Yet.
  • Friend prices are often more than market value.

On the other hand, you usually have less risk.

My father wears white socks pulled up to his knees and wears short running shorts. That was the style in the 80s.

My training partner is a 50 year old woman who has a 1970s hairstyle. I tried to gently tell her once and she didn't get it, and still has it.

It is perfectly functional. Same with a 26 inch bike. Perfectly functional but not in style.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Nothing wrong with spending a grand on a 26" bike. Maybe not a Slayer though, it's a bit of a tank for the riding you are doing.
    I wouldn't fit 27.5" wheels, it does all sorts of things to the handling of the bike for no gain.
  • It's difficult to find one of these bikes for sale in the UK although online in the US they do seem to be substantially cheaper - maybe they are lesser-specced versions. I agree that it might be a bit of a heavy-weight for the job it'll do - maybe something shorter travel will be better (and encourage me to pick my lines better).

Point taken about fashion/function - I'll cancel my order of reflective white parachute pants.

Ok - I think i've made up my mind to leave the Slayer alone. I think I will keep an eye out for a shorter travel trail bike (any recommendations welcome) or a cheaper hardtail to force me to learn 'propa like'.

Thanks all for your help (and for any future comments recommendations!)

Jack
  • Giant Anthem is one example of less travel. You can find one for your price range. They come in a few trim levels.
  • Giant Anthem is one example of less travel. You can find one for your price range. They come in a few trim levels.

Thank you very much! My stepdad actually has one of those and it's beautiful to ride however the unfortunate consequence is that I am unable to buy one as I'd never live it down!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's one of the silliest reasons ever not to buy a bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rsilvers
    rsilvers Posts: 70
    edited November 2015
    Why, you took a strong position against it before?
  • No I was joking, if i'm honest - he knows i love his bike! I spent half of the summer on it when I wanted to nuts it and didn't trust my bike (servicing of his bike was given in payment).

If the right anthem came up on eBay or locally then I would snatch it up. There's something about his bike that makes me feel much more confident than my current hardtail and as a result seems to knock off a few minutes from even an hour's ride.

It does feel a bit hefty though - I wonder if that's just me being used to hardtails or if the Giant is a fairly chunky bike? Not to harp about it, but the Spech Camber looks very lean and light from a purely photo-based appraisal.
  • It does feel a bit hefty though - I wonder if that's just me being used to hardtails or if the Giant is a fairly chunky bike? Not to harp about it, but the Spech Camber looks very lean and light from a purely photo-based appraisal.
    The Giant suspension design is one of the very best function-wise, but the one negative is that it is heavier than simpler designs. If this is an aluminum version, then it will be at least 28 lbs. You could get a carbon bike with similar suspension from Giant, Ibis, Santa Cruz (excluding the Heckler), Intense, Banshee, Pivot, Turner, Cove, BMC, Marin (except for the Mount Vision), Fezzari Hidden Peak, Niner, and any bike with DW LINK. They will be 3-5 lbs lighter.