CTD dampers

davidradar
davidradar Posts: 69
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&ref=topnav

Just put in the code and all will be revealed.
Stay positive people :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Taking the damper out is the work of about 2 minutes - it's hardly pulling the fork apart!.....you won't tell from the top as they look the same.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It could have been updated to the Fit Factory damper, does it have a blue CTD adjuster then a black trail adjuster just below it the has either 3 or 8 positions?

There is no way of telling if its a 2013/14/15 damper without pulling it apart and examine the internals.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    All CTD dampers are pretty bad. All evolution models are terrible and 2014 evolution CTD forks are complete crap.
    Buy a Rockshox or Marzocchi fork instead. Even Suntour or X Fusion would be better than a CTD fork.
  • Well, they are not all crap apart from in your opinion.
    For me the factory fork on my Scott works quite well.
    I do find that it works best with far less sag than normally suggested, but being on a cross country racing platform, it's tune suites quite well.
    I have a Sid on my other bike for comparison and it has a nice plush feel just cruising, but when you push it to the speeds that the bikes were tuned for, the Fox actually keeps better control when it turns nasty.

The Sid goes far longer between lower leg services though and if I you are a little bloke you may find that the Fox doesn't get full travel at the general settings you like to ride it at.
    But for bigger guys the ramp up of the Fox works pretty well.

Just because the tune of the fork doesn't suit you, doesn't mean the fork is crap.
    Just means that you need to delve a little deeper into setting up than sag and rebound.

The compression tune can be modified by different size little cylinders that the rotary dial pushes on, and the fork come with the option of a Firm or normal tune as well.
    The firm works well for me.
    The fork set up well for me with just the usual user accessible controls, let alone delving deeper into altering the damper or oil weight.