Split in sidewall of Schwalbe One tubeless tire

RobinB2
RobinB2 Posts: 111
edited January 2016 in Road general
My front wheel tire punctured fairly violently recently due to a split in the sidewall of the tire (sorry for fairly naff photo). Unfortunately I was going downhill around a right hand bend at the time, so hit the ground fairly hard

The split seems to be just above where the bead of the tire engages with the wheel rim and I'm trying to work out why the tyre has failed as it has. My first reaction was that this is due to a manufacturing fault. The wheel builder who built the wheel has checked the internal surface of the wheel rim and he thinks this is ok and I've checked the brake blocks which don't seem to be rubbing on the tyre at all

The split in the tyre appears to be 'below' the top of the rim so I'd be surprised if anything external has gouged the tyre in any way

Has anybody else experienced a similar failure (especially with Schwalbe tubeless tyres)? Any feedback much appreciated

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    edited November 2015
    Had to junk a nearly new 23mm Tubeless One last week due to a sidewall double-snakebite puncture that wouldn't stay sealed at high pressure, but it was from a big impact with a rock in the road and not a spontaneous failure like yours.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I had one go like that (downhill turn as well actually) but it was very old and worn. I'd seen it developing and shouldve changed it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RobinB2
    Thanks for the replies - there was no obvious impact cause for my puncture. Tyre was at about 95 psi and I don't recall hitting anything
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You may not recall hitting anything but you have have hit something that damaged the tyre and then it failed when it did. It is very easy to blame the part but you have no way of knowing. My bet is you have hit something that damaged the tyre and while you were riding a bulge appeared then boom. I think most sudden tyre failures can be put down to this although people will still blame the tyre. Impossible to prove either way.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • RobinB2
    Thanks cycleclinic - I do remember a slight 'pop' sound about 2 mins before the tyre went but assumed it was just a stone being dislodged from underneath the wheel

To be honest, I would prefer the cause was something I could quantify as hitting a stone, brake rubbing etc. Until I can work out the cause, I don't feel that confident going downhill on the bike any more
  • I don't rate the build quality of Schwalbe tires at all. Had three and they all fell to bits around the sidewall.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    For balance; I've had dozens of Schwalbe tyres of all flavours and have yet to have one 'fall to bits'. I'm running Ultremo's and One's on the road bikes ATM with zero issues. Marathons, Durano's etc on the fleet and again, zero issues.
  • 1986sv
    1986sv Posts: 83
    The chamfer strip came away from a set of 25mm One Tubeless tyres I was using. Noticed as I was cleaning the bike. I sent them back to Ribble who were good and sorted a refund out. I contacted Scwalbe UK (through Twitter DM) who were organising for Ribble to send them back for inspection.

They were fitted with thumbs (and swears) and were on for around 1000 miles before the strip started to come away. I might try some Hutchinsons
  • RobinB2
    Just to feedback on my earlier post - I sent the tyres back to Schwalbe and the issue was that the "chafer” appears to dip in the region where the tyre has failed. This caused the rim to rub on the tyre which caused the split. Schwalbe suggested this was an extremely unusual occurrence that they have not seen on these tyres before

Fair play to Schwalbe, they have now sent me a set of Scwalbe One Pro tyres as replacement and thanks to "Just riding along" for helping sort out the replacements for me
  • I had it happen on a Michelin Pro Endurance at full lean on a tight downhill corner, took my shoulder clean out the socket. It was one of the main reasons I converted to Tubeless, it was the tube getting out and going bang at the wrong moment that took me out I am more confident that some rubber would have stayed in contact long enough for me to keep on the bike with Tubeless. Hope I won't find out if that is true.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    So it was due to a manufacturing fault then?

I've used Schwalbe tyres in the past and as others have said, I'm definitely not a fan of their manufacturing quality or durability. Switched to Continental and certainly won't be going back any time soon.