Nice pedals

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
I've no idea why but I've always bought Shimano pedals. I've had 6700 then 6800 on my "best" bikes and was about to slavishly get some 9000 pedals for a new build. Am I being far too blinkered here? Maybe just me but I bet as a product more people just stick to what they know with pedals than other stuff (partly the grief of swapping cleats on all your shoes?).

At around £100 and 252g the Dura Ace are pretty heavy compared to others I should maybe think about, although the consensus seems to be that they're reliable (my Ultegra have been faultless for years).

Pondering these (would prefer to get from Evans as I've vouchers to spend) but would love thoughts on any others. Not keen on Speedplay but that is from a complete point of ignorance.

Look KéO Blade 2 Ti Titanium Carbon : £130 : 180g

Some reviews suggest they're a git to clip into and creak quite a lot but are relatively cheap and light. Seem to have three bearings like the 9000.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/look/keo-blade2-carbon-pedals-ti-axle-ec056657

Time Xpresso 12 Titan Carbon : £130 : 152g

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/time/xpresso-12-titan-carbon-road-pedals-ec062245

Mavic Zxellium SLR Ti : £145 : 155g

Seem to be made by Look so pretty identical to the Look?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mavic/zxellium-slr-ti-pedals-ec054028

Xpedo Thrust 8 Ti Pedal : £120 : 170g

Only really old reviews out there which seem to apply to older models with worse bearings.

http://www.xpedo.com/products/pedals/road/90/thrust-8-ti

Comments

• Just bought a pair of time espresso 12. Came from look keo max 2. Never had a problem with look but fancied something really light for the oltre. The first thing you notice is the lack of weight. Really light and bang on time's claims.
    The bearings feel very smooth and the general appearance is very nice. The i-click system has a very positive action both clipping in and out. Slightly more difficult to clip out than the looks but this could partly be down to the pedals being new. There are three settings for release tension but I've not felt the need to change it yet. Got mine for £119.00 from planet x. Some places are charging stupid money but I found a few other places charging similar prices as PX.
    Overall I'm really happy with these pedals. They do look slightly fragile and they have a weight limit of 90kg I belive but I'm way under that so hopefully they'll be fine.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Not keen on Speedplay but that is from a complete point of ignorance.

I always used SPD-SL for years then moved over to Speedplay a few years ago.

I love them. Double sided. easier to clip in and out of (after a short bedding in period)

Cleats are robust. Steel plate makes them a little bit like horse shoes and cleat cover walkable versions exist now.

Float is more adjustable. Can adjust toe or heel in to personal preference.

Colour matchable to your frame if thats your sort of thing. (See so many Bianchis with Celeste pedals)

Lightweight if you get the Stainless Steel or Ti versions - Even more if you get Pave - obscenely expensive mind.

If you can get a chance to try them I would recommend giving them a go. Some people don't get on with them but you never know they may really appeal to you once you try them.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I use xpresso 4s and find them very comfortable and easy to use. Tried speedplay for a change and while they were incredibly easy to clip into, I found that they actually increased my knee pain so went back to the time pedals.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I have used many of the pedal systems out there but now have been using Shimano for a couple of years and cannot see me changing from them any time soon, I like the fact they feel substantial and have a wide platform for your foot, plus have never pulled a foot out whilst sprinting (used to do that all the time with Time pedals). The slight additional weight penalty for me is fine, I could probably do with losing a few lbs so the additional couple of grams from the pedals makes very little difference overall.

If I were to look at a different pedal though I think I would go Speedplay, a couple of the guys in my club use them and really rate them.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • Anonymous
    I use xpresso 4s and find them very comfortable and easy to use. Tried speedplay for a change and while they were incredibly easy to clip into, I found that they actually increased my knee pain so went back to the time pedals.

I'm not suggesting you are guilty of this too but I know of people putting on speedplay pedals, complaining of knee pain because they fail to adjust their saddle to compensate for the stack height difference. Speedplays make the sole of the shoe sit closer to the pedal so there is very little gap from top of pedal to bottom of shoe in comparison to say spd-sl or look cleats. This difference means your saddle is now slightly too high. This could be causing the knee pain in some cases.
  • ianbz
    ianbz Posts: 27
    I ride Look Keo blades. Had no problems with creaking. The only problem I had was they came with the bike. I have a dodgy knee and the springs on these were I think 20nM release which I found a bit painful. There are another two types of blade 16nM and 12nM which are easy enough to change. Since doing so have had no problems at all
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I found that Mavic/Time cleats wear out pretty fast and ended up back with Shimano.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

I'm not suggesting you are guilty of this too but I know of people putting on speedplay pedals, complaining of knee pain because they fail to adjust their saddle to compensate for the stack height difference. Speedplays make the sole of the shoe sit closer to the pedal so there is very little gap from top of pedal to bottom of shoe in comparison to say spd-sl or look cleats. This difference means your saddle is now slightly too high. This could be causing the knee pain in some cases.

No worries! I did actually change the bike set up to take account of it. I suspect it was the rotational float that got me. The times have lots of side to side which, for me, is easier on my knee. I'm sure that if I'd gone for a bike fit, someone who knows what they're doing would've solved it but to be honest, I liked the xpressos. Trying speedplay was on a whim, couldn't really justify the bike fit expense and I pretty much got back what I paid for the speedplays.
  • Many thanks for all of the comments so far.

I've now had a look at Speedplay and was a bit surprised at heavy they are. The Zero Titanium are 282g (164g pedals + 118g cleats) but not that different in price so I guess (I also thought they were extortionate)are also a runner.

I'm not buying for longevity but I keep reading about the Time/Mavic cleats being made of cheese so maybe not great.

Leaning towards the Look KéO Blade 2 Ti Titanium Carbon (248g with cleats) but fascinated by the Xpedo 8 Ti (235g with cleats) at almost exactly the same price. They use Look cleats and I've found a much better review here:

http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2011_10_02_Xpedo_Thrust_8_Review
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I had Look blade Ti's for a short period. I found them to be a complete pain in the backside when the road was damp or wet - I think it was the cleats which created a grating squeak and nearly drove me mad. They were fine in the dry and provided a decent platform. The cleats were not nearly as durable as shimano. My time with them came to a premature (and welcome) end when I clipped a kerb and the pedal snapped in half with 30 miles of the Fool's Errand sportive remaining including a two or three stinkers of climbs which I had to face with only one pedal clipped in! I returned to dura ace and have remained there with no problems since. Perhaps the version 2 have been strengthened and perhaps the squeaking cleats syndrome has been designed out since my time with the earlier version.

Peter
  • Anonymous
    Having a quick read through the thread just confirms that I will probably never change from DA pedals.
    Its a bit like Fizik Arione saddles, there may be something better out there for me, but do I really want the hassle and expense of looking.

Love that people use and enjoy other pedals (I originally wanted Speedplay) but there are just too many things higher up the wishlist to deviate now........Unless/until I get a Campag bike of course :shock:

• Perhaps the version 2 have been strengthened and perhaps the squeaking cleats syndrome has been designed out since my time with the earlier version.

Apparently not, the BikeRadar review saying "Several Lotto-Belisol riders even resorted to applying strips of handlebar tape to the platform in an apparent effort to improve the cleat fit."
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I have/had 6 sets of Time and Mavic iClic pedals. Only ones or there with the lateral float I need for my knees. The Ti ones are really nice and light just make sure to use plenty of copper grease when attaching them or you'll never get them off. Cleats last 3-4k but are cheap enough to where it's not a big issue.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Had nothing but grief with all my Look Keo Blade pedals (1 and 2). Noise and bearing issues, so I gave up in the end.

I'm quite the weight weenie, but went for Dura Ace just to give my head a rest.

1 year in and super happy. Absolutely bulletproof, the extra 50g can be seen in the solid metal bearing housings, the larger bearings, the wide platform, etc.

Fit and forget.
  • Had nothing but grief with all my Look Keo Blade pedals (1 and 2). Noise and bearing issues, so I gave up in the end.

1 year in and super happy. Absolutely bulletproof, the extra 50g can be seen in the solid metal bearing housings, the larger bearings, the wide platform, etc.

Fit and forget.

I too don't rate the keo 2's at all.

I don't have noise issues with mine but they seem to shear cleats at an alarming rate and they don't fall back into a vertical position after release which is somewhat annoying. I'd recommend avoiding.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift

Fit and forget.

I too don't rate the keo 2's at all.

I don't have noise issues with mine but they seem to shear cleats at an alarming rate and they don't fall back into a vertical position after release which is somewhat annoying. I'd recommend avoiding.

That's the least of it!

Wait until the pedal body cracks where the bearing sits (mine did)
    and
    the bearings need repeated regreasing (mine did)
    and
    the bearings fail (mine did)
    and
    the noise (bearings and cleats) drive you mad

By contrast, the DA9000 pedals have been perfect for over a year now, and the way they are built I fully expect them to last for 10+
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Certainly my 7800 model DA pedals (all aluminium) are still going remarkably smoothly since 2006/2007 on my commuter bike with a disgraceful lack of maintenance on my part. I doubt if the carbon-ish body of the latest DA's will prove to be as long lasting but hopefully the bearings will be as robust.

Peter
  • I've got a set of the Xpedo Titanium ones, had about three years on my summer bike so about 10,000 miles. No issues, mine are the ones with one bearing in rather than three so should be less reliable.
  • I've got a set of the Xpedo Titanium ones, had about three years on my summer bike so about 10,000 miles. No issues, mine are the ones with one bearing in rather than three so should be less reliable.

That's great to know. Where did you get yours from? Shame they don't have a UK supplier/distributor so any warranty claims might be a pain.

A couple of older reviews mention the spindles flexing, as a "normal user" have you noticed anything like that?
  • London Bike show a few years back for £99 from the importer at the time.
    Can't feel any flex but am not a powerful rider.
    If I was using in all weathers would go for Shimano Ultergra or 105 which I have on other bikes.
  • London Bike show a few years back for £99 from the importer at the time.
    Can't feel any flex but am not a powerful rider.
    If I was using in all weathers would go for Shimano Ultergra or 105 which I have on other bikes.

Wow, that's a great price. I'm 52kg, couldn't flex a straw with my power and they're to go on a summer only bike. They are sounding tempting as the really helpful comments so far have kind of put me off the Look and Time. Those or the DA.