Raleigh RX-Comp sizing

Underscore
Underscore Posts: 730
edited November 2015 in Cyclocross
I was offered a really good deal by my LBS on one of these at the weekend, which I am going to go with. However, as with most small shops these days, he doesn't have one in stock, so I have to take an educated guess regarding sizing. Looking at the effective TT length, the 54 is pretty much spot on the same as my road bike (which is a Giant) but, according to Raleigh, I should be on the 56. Does anyone around the 5'10" - 5'11" mark, have any advice that they could share?

_

Comments

• LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    RX Team...

Use a 54 feels perfect for me* at 5 10.5

*you might be massively different
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • RX Team...

Use a 54 feels perfect for me* at 5 10.5

*you might be massively different
    Thanks Lee. The geometry of the 54" looks almost spot on my road bike: BB drop, chainstay, eff. TT, fork offset are all identical and the angles are within half a degree. However, the head tube is 30mm shorter and, even with the bars at their highest and the stock stem, the bars will be 25mm lower. I know that putting 17deg stem will bring them up to about the same level, if I need to compensate for my old and inflexible back, but that still makes me nervous when I read that you should aim for a more upright riding position for CX...

BTW, my inside leg is 850-860mm; how does that compare with yours?

Cheers,

_
  • Ah, was chatting with a mate last night and it became clear: a cyclocross bike has to have fatter tyres and mud clearance so the crown race is going to be higher than on a road bike - I would estimate by at least 20mm - so the fit of the 54" will likely be very similar to my road bike. 54" it is then!

_