Worth upgrading steel flat pedals?

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of upgrading the stock steel pedals that came with my hybrid bike. I know I want to continue with flats on that bike rather than clipless.

Would I notice much difference if I got 'better' flat pedals? I want to be able to wear regular trainers for riding that bike.

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    What is the problem with your current steel flats?

If they are uncomfortable in trainers, then a plastic pedal will generally not cut into your soles so much.
  • rumbataz
    They're the basic pedals that came with the bike and I've noticed less grip in recent rides when the roads have been wet. I use my heavy-duty pair of gym trainers so cannot feel the serrated edges of the pedals at all.

I was just wondering whether other flat pedals would offer more grip in wet weather.
  • marcusjb
    Steel or alloy caged flats will offer more grip than plastic ones in general.

The slippery when wet thing is one of the downsides of flats. It never worries me overly and a smooth pedalling style means your feet will never slip once you are going. I have 3 or 4 bikes with flats, mostly metal caged.

You could look at some mtb downhill flats - not pretty though.
  • rumbataz
    Ah okay, so probably not a lot to be gained then. Yeah, mine are metal cages with serrated edges. I've seen some with pins sticking through the body of the pedals and wasn't sure if those would offer more grip. I also don't want to have to buy any special cycling shoes for flats. The trainers I use are old and very rugged so can take a lot of punishment.
  • marcusjb
    If you are really worried about it, but still want to wear whatever shoes you want, then something like Powergrips on flats is an option. My wife uses them on the back of the tandem and likes being secured, but not restricted in footwear.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If your worried about your shoes slipping in the wet then what about a set of mini toe clips

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/zefal-mini-clips?bct=browse%2faccessories%2fpedals-toeclips

Would let you stick with your steel caged pedals but give you some added security
  • rumbataz
    If your worried about your shoes slipping in the wet then what about a set of mini toe clips

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/zefal-mini-clips?bct=browse%2faccessories%2fpedals-toeclips

Would let you stick with your steel caged pedals but give you some added security

Yes, that may solve the problem! Many thanks.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Ah okay, so probably not a lot to be gained then. Yeah, mine are metal cages with serrated edges. I've seen some with pins sticking through the body of the pedals and wasn't sure if those would offer more grip. I also don't want to have to buy any special cycling shoes for flats. The trainers I use are old and very rugged so can take a lot of punishment.

My mtb came with flat pedals having pins projecting. They lasted half an hour - I wasn't used to flats, having road bike clip ins and the pain generated from the pins sliding down the length of my shin when I missed clean contact with the pedal convinced me they are blooming dangerous!

You could possibly try the Shimano double sided pedals - one side is flat pedal and the other has SPD clip in.

Peter