Anthem 27.5 size for 5'10". M with 100mm stem or L 60mm?

odessouky
odessouky Posts: 264
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
Aloha everyone

I am 5'10 (178cm) in height, and inseam is 31-32".

I had a MEDIUM 2014 Anthem 27.5 2, which was stolen a few months ago, and I am waiting on the 2016 model as an insurance replacement.

The mediums are not expected before January next year, and the large is IN STOCK!

I am basically a roadie, and the Anthem was my first Mountain bike. When I bought it back in summer, I felt it was a little cramped in MEDIUM size, especially the cockpit. It had the STOCK 100mm Giant stem on it with 690mm handlebar.

The Giant mechanic in the shop insisted that the medium is the right one for me, and that in mountain bike riding, the bike SHOULD FEEL SMALL underneath the rider for better control and agility? It was my first mountain bike, s I took his word for it. I tried a Large, and it was OKish.

I always wanted to get a shorter stem and wider handle bars, but the 2014 models had Overdrive 2 headsets, which did not accept regular stems, and also I was worried to get even more tight in the cockpit.

The 2015 and 2016 models accept regular stems, and I have already bought a 60mm stem and a 750mm handlebar, but I am worried that when the bike arrives, it will be even more cramped in the cockpit?

So, I'm thinking of asking the shop to post a LARGE, rather than the medium, and was thinking that the shorter stem will fit better on the larger frame?

I am going nuts researching this, as almost ALL reviews of the Trance and Anthem online are by 5'10" reviewers, and 90% of the reviews tested a LARGE bike, yet Giant website sizing suggests a MEDIUM all the way up to 6' with a 32" inseam!!

Also on forums, most of the members lean towards a medium all the way up to 5'11"?

Would going for a Large be a big mistake?

Many thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sit on one before you buy it, and see.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Sit on one before you buy it, and see.

That's my point.

I sat on the M, used it for a couple of months, and felt cramped, but the Giant guy told me to forget riding like a roadie, and this cramped feeling is the RIGHT way a MTB should measure up?

Also, I never got to put a short stem on it?

My question is will a Large frame with a short stem fit me, and ask about riders of smilar heights and what size Anthems/Trances they ride?

There is no way I will be able to test that, as I canot change the stem of a bike in the store?
  • I am 5' 10 with a 33" inside leg and long arms and bought a large Anthem Sx earlier this year. I currently ride it with a 50mm stem but will probably extend that back out to 60 or get a slightly straighter bar soon.

Although Sx version is exactly the same frame as a normal Anthem it is effectively 10mm or so shorter due to running a longer fork which slackens the seat angle.

I had a very similar quandry. The medium felt a tad small and I knew I wanted to run a shorter stem.

Where I think you might struggle is with the standover. The top tube on the large is much higher than on the medium. With a 33" leg I have an inch or so clearance. On the bike its fine but I have had a couple of unwanted 'collisions' betwixt undercarriage and top tube. Its also a bit of a pain if you need to waddle along with the bike. At 31"-32" you might find it too tight.

Depending on where you ride running a wider bar on the medium might be the answer. If you shorten the stem by 20 mm , maybe widen the bar by something like 60mm which should make he bike feel bigger by spreading wider rather than further forwards.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It shouldn't feel cramped but it shouldn't feel as long as a road bike. At your height you are probably borderline large or medium. Strangely a lot of roadies buy mountain bikes which are too big for them, quite often Trek 29ers for some reason.
    I disagree that a mountain bike should feel small, for better control and stability it needs a bit of length to it.
    You need to get a test ride on a large Anthem and see if it's right.
  • Two other things to consider

1. Its also worth having a think about set up. Especially bar to seat height.

A very slightly high bar can make the bike feel disproportionatly much more cramped due to making your torso and arms form too steep a triangle. Your muscles work too hard to support this and you think you need more reach or the seat pushing back. Dropping the handlebars sometimes only just a spacer or two ( 5 - 10 mm) can give the same result you think you are going to get by putting a 20mm longer stem on.

2. I find the stock anthem bars bend my elbows in more than I would like. This makes sense for xc racing but does make you feel like you need a long reach due to the road bike type position. I am swapping to a bar with less bend to allow my elbows to fall further out into a more relaxed trail riding position.

The Anthems are great frames but personally I think they need an overhaul. In my view the top tube is too high on the Large ( even at 6' + many people dont have legs longer than mine ). I also think ( even for XC ) they need the frames lengthening slightly, slightly shorter stems fitted and slightly wider bars. I would also like to see a few mm shaved off the chainstay length now they have gone to 27.5 wheels too.
  • thanks everyone for your thoughts and excellent input...

more options...more confusion..

mmm...I'll probably go out try a giant anthem in Large with my 60mm stem, and hope they can agree for me to put it on in store?

Any idea of stores that stock Giant anthems in South West London?

Thnx
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I'm the same height as you and ride a medium Trance (which I know is not an exact comparison) I stuck with the stock 80mm stem but fitted 760mm bars with a lot less back sweep and no rise and also dropped the stem as low as possible and flipped it to get the front end lower again. It might just be roady trait wanting the position low but this really helped improve the fit for me. I think its the sitting too upright which made me feel cramped initially rather than the reach.
  • The size chart has you dead-center in a medium:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/giant/838485d1381545179-anthem-27-5-size-decision-size.jpg

I think it would be nuts to disregard the chart, unless you had unusually long limbs, or unless you rode on both and had enough knowledge to over-rule the chart.

Get the medium.

I am 5'8.5" and have a medium Trance 29er. It feels on the large side for me. I think 5'10" is perfect for a medium in a Trance, and Anthem should be the same.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Sit on one before you buy it, and see.
    Do this ^^^ but also get someone to photograph you on the bike.

This will help you to get another perspective on your riding position, particularly the arms-back-top tube triangle.

You can't rely on "The Chart" (or people on a forum); it's quite possible for people of identical body shape to be most comfortable on different size bikes.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Hi there I just got a 2016 Giant Anthem SX 1 Large size

Im about the same measurements as you.
    and like you found a few 2015 reviews where people our size reviewed the large.

I had a demo day and really loved the speed etc of this bike and got a good price on it aswell.

Anyway im not experienced enough to say whether or not the bike is too large for me or not.

Officially its probably very slightly too large in one or 2 areas, but ive adjusted the seat height and angle to suit me.
    Its geometry is not a million miles away from my hardtail boardman comp bike now that ive made a few minor adjustements.

I could not test a medium, got this cheaper as was ex demo and felt that it was good for me so took a punt.

Got it for a good price so could sell it on if im not convinced after a few ride outs that it really is right for me, but for now im liking it. Would like to sit on a medium at some stage if possible and see how that feels.

Would e interested in what you eventually decide etc and think about the large and medium

cheers

UV
  • Hi there I just got a 2016 Giant Anthem SX 1 Large size

Im about the same measurements as you.
    and like you found a few 2015 reviews where people our size reviewed the large.

I had a demo day and really loved the speed etc of this bike and got a good price on it aswell.

Anyway im not experienced enough to say whether or not the bike is too large for me or not.

Officially its probably very slightly too large in one or 2 areas, but ive adjusted the seat height and angle to suit me.
    Its geometry is not a million miles away from my hardtail boardman comp bike now that ive made a few minor adjustements.

I could not test a medium, got this cheaper as was ex demo and felt that it was good for me so took a punt.

Got it for a good price so could sell it on if im not convinced after a few ride outs that it really is right for me, but for now im liking it. Would like to sit on a medium at some stage if possible and see how that feels.

Would e interested in what you eventually decide etc and think about the large and medium

cheers

UV

great bike...will let you know...

How come the 2016 models are already ex-demo?
  • I'm not sure it looked barely used and it was at my local bike shop on a demo day.
    Tried out a few other bikes, big fancy spcialized enduro bikes etc, but the anthem really felt fast and light compared to the other ones.
    Googled it when I got home and seen the price and my heart sunk.
    Started looking at 2015 model which has good reviews but is a different bike aswell. Gave them a call to query it and told them my budget £1500 top and was asked if I liked the bike I had a shot of. They sold me it for that :)
    Even the 2015 model is still selling for that so I think I got lucky
  • I'm not sure it looked barely used and it was at my local bike shop on a demo day.
    Tried out a few other bikes, big fancy spcialized enduro bikes etc, but the anthem really felt fast and light compared to the other ones.
    Googled it when I got home and seen the price and my heart sunk.
    Started looking at 2015 model which has good reviews but is a different bike aswell. Gave them a call to query it and told them my budget £1500 top and was asked if I liked the bike I had a shot of. They sold me it for that :)
    Even the 2015 model is still selling for that so I think I got lucky

nice one...that was clever!!
    Was that a Giant store?
  • Nope it was just my local independent bike store