Rockshox 30 Gold TK Fork Install

yblocker
yblocker Posts: 3
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
The installation went fine. Funny though, the tubes are open at the bottom. It seems like these openings should be plugged or blanked off. I couldn't find anything in the box that looked like it would work. The damper control on these shock use a little hex wrench that fits pretty snug in there, but the handle protrudes far enough so a cover wouldn't fit anyway. Seems like dirt and moisture would get up in there so what am I missing?
Tube.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing. That's how they are.

Take the allen key out or you'll probably lose it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They just have a hollow section at the bottom, common on a lot of RS forks, any water or dirt that goes up just falls back out, there is nothing in there for it to effect as a simple look would have told you.

Same on my much more expensive SID's.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • there is nothing in there for it to effect as a simple look would have told you.
    Same on my much more expensive SID's.

I did take that simple look, which is why i posted the question. There is the adjustment for the rebound up in there, and it would seem to me like they could have capped it with a knob on it that connects to the adjustment. Keeps it clean and you wouldn't have to think about where to keep the wrench.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As most forks have the rebound adjuster sticking out in the breeze below the bottom, they clearly don't need that much protecting!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.