tyres question

fiodor
fiodor Posts: 9
edited December 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
hi guys I am new to this forum so big hello to all .
just got my new front tyre shwalbe magic mary 2.35 and on the back I have my maxxis ardent 2.25 .
do you guys think this will be a good set up for this time of the year .??? or should I replace my back tyre with something different. I've got a giant trance x 4 and most of the time the bike is used on the mtb centres like glentress and Innerleithen etc...
thanks!!

Comments

• swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Depends what the conditions are at the places you ride.

You could swap it out for something like a schwalbe nobby nic, isn't the magic mary a mud tyre?

Ideally you will want something that will grip over a variety of conditions as fitting a mud tyre will grip in mud but not be great over anything else.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mud tyres are circa 1.5" wide, the MM isn't a mud tyre!

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-reader/magic-mary.html
    Its a DH or enduro tyre for wetter/muddier conditions, the heavier duty equivalent of a Nobby Nic, as can be seen by the near identical tread pattern. Its a pretty heavy tyre for cranking uphills unless using the snakeskin version when it's only circa 50% heavier than a Nic.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    fiodor wrote:
    ...front tyre shwalbe magic mary 2.35 and on the back I have my maxxis ardent 2.25
    Have got the same combo on my enduro gnarpoon
    Magic Mary is outstanding but nt so hot in watery mud and wet roots/rubble. Ardent surprisingly good when new but soon goes off as the edges wear

Wintertime I'd go for something a bit less focussed e.g. Spesh Butcher/HR II/Minion up front and a Purgatory/Captain/Advantage kind of thing on the rear
  • thanks guys for replying. so far set up works great for me.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    for glentress/inners I use maxxis HR2 F&R most of the year then change to conti baron 2.3 in muddy times.
  • Magic is a great all round front tyre. What casing do you have super gravity or snake skin? If you have snake skin then the new nobby nic is a good option for all round use. But if you are a more DH orientated guy and don't mind a touch extra drag then get the Mary for the rear in Trail Star compound. It will roll fast and be good on all terrain. This is what I run in bad weather where the tracks are muckier.