Hybrid advise needed

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm on the hunt for a Hybrid with front shocs something like the Specialized crosstrail or a Boardman mx or even Scott Sportster something along those lines. It would be mainly used for the winter up the canal tow paths an some rough roads when the weathers bad. I did have a Trek DS but it was stolen and I replaced it with a mountain bike but it's abit to much for what I need.

The main thing I need is the weight, I prefer it light'ish. I'm not sure which of the Hybrids fall into the heavy and light category so any advise would be great.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would avoid front suspension on a hybrid. The suspension forks used on hybrids are cheap, nasty, crude rubbish which never lasts long. They are also very heavy.
    Suspension forks need a decent impact to get them moving, if they move too easily then they bob as you pedal so they just won't do anything for your riding.
    A decent set of carbon rigid forks will actually give better ride quality and will probably be nearly a kilo lighter.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1, unless the roads are really rough, suspension forks just add wait and cost for no real benefit. Good carbon or aluminium forks will be nearer 1.5Kg lighter than suspension (circa 6-700g for carbon or Mosso and 2.25Kg for Suntour NCX).

Budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Getting a bike with a rigid fork will save time in maintenance and as already said will save weight.

My rides into work are along canal towpaths, bridleways and I was looking at the pinnacle lithium hybrid or something like the HOY Shizuoka which would cope with these conditions with ease to avoid wearing out components on my mountain bike.

Sounds like your after a sporty hybrid like a cannondale quick speed or a Specialized Sirrus Sport
  • Some good advise there , thanks . I only have a small budget say max £250 so I would be scouring the ads for a good 2nd hand one. I will take your advise fell'as regarding the front forks which broadens my search as I was only looking at bikes with front suss.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Last years Marasa is a great bike if you can fit an 18 or 20", and at that price it's crazy cheap, with skinny road tyres it makes a decent fast road Jybrid, with MTB tyres it doubles up as a rigid 29er MTb as well.
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/classic-bikes/voodoo-marasa-hybrid-bike-2013-2014
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.