Best way to sell Second Hand Bike

paulcuthbert
paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi. What's the best way to get a good price for a second hand bike I'm selling? I bought it new in June (although it's a 2013) model and have hardly ridden it at all, so it's almost perfect condition.

Where would be the best place to try and sell this? It's a 2013 Trek Madone 4.0. I paid £1000 for it so hoping to get at least £750 for it. Is this likely?

Comments

• You could try the classifieds section on this website although most buyers will likely require that you post the bike to them via courier.

Otherwise ebay or gumtree?

£750 sounds a bit steep IMO, especially at this time of year but you never know.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Even without knowing the full spec, I would be very surprised if you got that sort of money for it. I sometimes think that bikes are as bad as cars for losing value when you wheel them out of the shop. The difference is that you don't always have to sell a bike to make room for another as they are easier to store (within limits) and don't come with additional expenses like servicing, tax and insurance every year.

Have a look at the classified here on BR and listings on ebay for comparable bikes to see how much they are going for but note that people often ask too much money on the latter and a lot of bikes seem to go unsold.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Paul,
    Your link doesn't work...

What's the most painful climb in Northern Ireland then??