Planet x 24" rd bike frame build?

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
FRPXGIOV_P1.jpg

Looks like a bargin 29 quid for frameset, but then I searched for parts to build it into a bike and decent children parts seem as rare as hens teeth/expensive :roll: :shock:

24" clinchers thant aren't screw on freewheel or heavier than all but the worst 700c wheelsets etc.... :?

Cranks the correct length & handlebars right size?....

I was thinking single front ring chainset (140mm crank length) with a downtube shifter.

I used to ride a 5 speed 24" version of this:

PICT4470.jpg

Comments

• Saw that on the email this morning and like you looked at the extra parts required to build a 20" for my youngest and a 24" for the eldest but quickly gave up with the lack of parts easily available or the price of those that are :(

Shame as they would be something different over at the Tri club
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Save your money I bought one for the previous £50 price and built everything up until I tried to find 24" wheelset for road, rare as rocking horse shite, as it happens one of my friends has a set on his sons Apollo I tried them and sure enough the axle doesn't fit either front or rear, total waste of money.

I contacted planet x who after awhile got back in touch and said they would look into building some, then nothing.

So I've wasted my time and money and upset my daughter in the process, the fact that they're still selling this knowing full well you can't build a bike from it is frankly criminal and shameful.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Moonbiker
    the axle doesn't fit either front or rear, total waste of money.

what are the are the frames hub spacings they aren't listed on the px website?

....im guessing its some odd none standard spacing then? :roll:

There are a few wheelsets around

Miche Young

http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/branded-bicycle-parts/miche-bicycle-parts/miche-wheels/miche-young-wheelset/

Decathalon sells cheap 24" freewheel screw on hub wheels:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/kids-24-rear-wheel-silver-id_8336017.html

& some rodi ones on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-24-MTB-SPECIAL-WHEELS-RED-AIRLINE-DOUBLE-WALL-RIM-5-6-or-7-SPEED-507x21c-/181923583005?hash=item2a5b7d941d:g:q60AAOSwGvhUJRrf

Also found complete miche young campag group but is expensive:

http://en.hollandbikeshop.com/branded-bicycle-parts/miche-bicycle-parts/miche-complete-group/miche-groupset-young-ergopower-9s-24-inch-young-wheels/

Sugino do a really nice junior crankset:

http://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/products/touring/mighty.html

EDIT: It seems 24 inch rims can be in either 507, 520, or 541mm ISO sizes :shock:
  • 541 are 24" mountain bike wheels, usually 1 1/2 to 2" wide and probably wouldn't fit that frame. 507 are wheelchair tyres (I think). 520 are probably what you want for a junior road bike, at least that's whats on my sons, but not a lot of them around.

The miche wheels mentioned above don't have any information about rim diameter available.

Several companies are making 24" road bikes these days, but difficult to get wheels. Tyres are fairly easy to get in the UK.
  • itboffin
    I tried all those and many more, forget it its a list cause basically this frame is a manufacturing mistake which px are trying to get rid of.

PX prove me wrong and show a fully built up 24" frameset.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Moonbiker
    540 ETRTO are the ones on isabike luath 24" i think but im not sure. There website doesn't bother to say but I googled the ETRTO of the kenda tyre brand models they come with.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Seems to be a classic example of 'if a deal looks too good to be true...'
    Not great form from Planet X though, despite the old buyer beware argument.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I looked into this as well, and ended up going with a 14" framed hybrid on 26" wheels.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Moonbiker
    Did anyone manage to build one of theese yet, & if so what parts etc did threy use.
  • itboffin
    No it's not possible, save your money