Do I upgrade my bike or just replace it?

jjojjas
jjojjas Posts: 346
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
Whats your thoughts on this ....
I've been riding a trek fuel ex7 for a year now and I have got right back into mountain biking after a few years off. I'm a fit bloke in my mid 40's, 6'1" tall and I work out in the gym so I'm never going to be under 14 stone(+). I rarely get overtaken on a climb, but any decent D/H rider will lose me on the way down (probably my crap technique... ).

I'm setting up some bigger rides next year, Macavalanche, some enduro timed rides, probably bikepark wales, possibly some stuff in France and so on... but I need to make the decision on my bike. Will my bike survive or do I buy a longer travel bike?

What makes sense? I've never been one to get sucked into the whole scene and buy the newest upgrade on the market...I just buy it and use it and replace stuff as it wears out. But I'm just aware that the flex in the 29" wheels on the Trek is really noticeable and I bottom the rear shock out occasionally.

Could I upgrade wheel wheels and shock....or am I expecting too much from a 120mm travel bike? Do I buy something else thats just as good going up hill but better at going down? if so what?
Jas
it looks a bit steep to me.....

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Buying a new one would make a lot more sense as if your weakness is the descents, then buying a bike which makes them easier makes sense. Booking a skills course at the same time would help you get the most out of the new bike.
    Even if your skills at descending were amazing, the fuel ex will always be a bit of a hindrance at the megavalanche or at any very technical decent due to its steepish geometry. A slightly longer travel trail bike with smaller, less flexy wheels and a slacker geometry will
    be your best bet.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I'm no fan of the Trek Fuel, I don't like the suspension but it's not really a bike for the riding you are planning on.
    Just don't make the mistake of thinking more suspension is better. Some of the latest bikes with short travel suspension but long, slack and low geometry are brilliant for enduro riding but better for normal, everyday riding as well.
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    am I expecting too much from a 120mm travel bike?

Yes. Just got my first longer travel bike, a Giant Trance 1 and im having a blast on it. Its not just the travel, its the whole feel of the bike, it really comes alive on the descents, you really have the feeling the bike can deal with anything the trail can offer, and that leaves you free to concentrate on your riding. Ive improved no end from how i was riding on my old shortish travel Scott Spark...as i was trying to push it harder/steeper/faster, you could really sense it was out of its comfort zone, leading to a few crashes and sketchy moments that really had me questioning my riding. But im seriously loving the Trance and its probably not the last you'll hear of this bike on the thread :D
  • jjojjas
    hmmm. Cheers guys, been reading up on bikes last night and it does seem I'm expecting too much from the 120 travel Trek. Makes sense that a biggish relatively strong bloke tearing at the bars with what seem to be notable flexi wheels on D/H runs is pushing the limit. Shame really, I do like the bike for standard xc stuff and it climbs well.
    I'll have a look at the giant trance as you suggest. I don't want a long travel monster... the shortest I can realistically get away sensibly with will do me.... and I know bugger all about bike geometry :lol:

so I need to look at the giant trance, most other stuff seems to be 160mm travel these days (or am I just searching for the wrong stuff?)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With 'modern' geometry and suspension many 140-150mm bikes will do the big stuff you want and also cope with all day XC rides as well, Trance, Scout, Endorphin - there are lots more.

Was never a fan myself of how the Fuel rode, but that's a personal thing!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jjojjas
    With 'modern' geometry and suspension many 140-150mm bikes will do the big stuff you want and also cope with all day XC rides as well, Trance, Scout, Endorphin - there are lots more.

Was never a fan myself of how the Fuel rode, but that's a personal thing!
    cheers mate, Ill check those out.
    Jas
  • jjojjas
    thanks for the help guys, I'm off to check out the new Norco Sight A7.1 tomorrow.
    Jas
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The old 26 Norco sight was great fun, but though I haven't ridden the new one I've heard that it hasn't been as good since its been updated, flexy rear end i think it was, which may be an issue if you're on the heavier side. Obviously see what you think, just there may be others that you prefer so demo lots of options.