Scicon Bike Bags Packing

sloppyschleckonds
sloppyschleckonds Posts: 8,019
edited December 2015 in Road general
I usually take a BBA, but this time using the AeroComfort flight bags, is it possible to load up the bag assuming everything is strapped down with a floor pump, clothing, helmet, shoes etc or does it end up in a mess?

TIA
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

Comments

• FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    No problem putting clothes in the bag wrapped in plastic to protect from the chain, not sure what you could secure the floor pump to.
  • I'll give it a go tonight, thinking I could strap it to the metal base.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    No problem putting clothes in the bag wrapped in plastic to protect from the chain, not sure what you could secure the floor pump to.
    I recommend removing the chain and rear derailleur. Wrap the derailleur in bubble wrap and use masking tape over the wrap to secure it within the frame.
    More fuss re cleaning, but better than a bent hanger.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No problem putting clothes in the bag wrapped in plastic to protect from the chain, not sure what you could secure the floor pump to.
    I recommend removing the chain and rear derailleur. Wrap the derailleur in bubble wrap and use masking tape over the wrap to secure it within the frame.
    More fuss re cleaning, but better than a bent hanger.

Good call, not sure I was keen on that hanger protector tbf.
  • FatTed
    I have had no problem keeping the rear derailleur on
    I use the Protector and changed the quick release to a lockable one (Front and back) so the TSA don't F**K it up
    added foam to the rear for additional protection
    cover the chain with the Scicon chain cover.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I always unscrew the rear mech - it's so exposed.

Are you using pipelagging on the bike - I'd be wary of putting anything like a pump in there unless you can lash it down securely. Pumps are heavy and you dont want it rubbing on your paintwork.

Helmet I like to take in hand luggage with me. Even works for an aero helmet.

If you're not happy to throw the bike down a flight of stairs in the bag - then it's not packed securely. Pad everything.
  • I bought a Scicon Aerocomfort bike bag a month ago for a trip to Tucson. I had been using an Evoc bag, which I was very happy with, but was attracted by the fact that with the Scicon I wouldn't have to remove the handlebars (or pedals).

I was a little skeptical about the Scicon -- worried that the handlebars as the part sticking out the furthest would be the most prone to impact and potential damage. But the reviews were positive so I thought I'd give it a try.

It was easy to pack. I took extra care and covered all the tubes in pipe insulation, removed the rear derailleur, put extra padding around the shifters.

I shipped the bike via Fed Ex ground and it took 3 days. I've shipped via Fed Ex, both ground (domestic) and air (International) many times before without incident.

The bike arrived with the right shifter turned in 30 degrees; the bike had clearly taken an impact there. I straightened the shifter out and rode for a few days ok.

I packed the bike back up for return shipment, taking care as above. I shipped again Fed Ex ground three days.

When it arrived home, both shifters were rotated in (30-45 degrees), the handlebars themselves were rotated a few degrees (out of alignment now with the front wheel), and the drop on the right side of the handlebar was completely broken.

Needless to say, I am not happy with the Scicon Aerocomfort and won't use it again. One trip, damage on both legs, major damage on one. My dealer was gracious enough to take it back with a full return.

My tips if you must use a Scicon:

- Don't use carbon bars. Mine were. Of course, with an impact as hard as required to break carbon bars, it most likely would have damaged -- bent or broken -- aluminum bars too.

- Loosen the shifter clamp bolts so that if they take impact, they rotate in without resistance. Otherwise they can damage either the shifter or the bar. Of course, a big impact could damage the shifter, even if fully padded, too.

- Remove the rear derailleur.

I cannot recommend the Scicon Aerocomfort. The minutes saved are not worth the worry wondering if your bike will arrive intact, and if damaged, it could ruin your bike trip.
  • FatTed
    Well I have a different experience over a number of trips thru the USA on the way to Europe
    I tape a larger Alloy handlebar(46) to my carbon bars(44)
    Loosen the stem where it attaches to the handlebar so the handlebar rotates downwards
    Screw the bike to the Scicon frame so that the TSA don't take it off the frame as they have done wit the QR
    I leave the rear derailleur on just add some thick foam to pad out the rear, as well as the supplied cage.
    The wheels of the case are pretty useless.
    Packing and unpacking is quick and easy
    Obviously a solid box like bike box allen is more secure, but it is quite large and may not always fit thru every x-ray check.
  • That's a good idea to put a wider aluminum handlebar outside the carbon bar to protect it. I was thinking that the Scicon needs a frame around the handlebar to protect it, and that's a good way to do it.

Using locking QR to secure to the frame is another good idea. I'll try that with my Evoc, which also has a frame. I have not had a problem with TSA removing the bike from the frame so far. But on my outbound trip to Tucson in the Scicon, the bike was detached from the frame when it arrived.

Oh, I did loosen the stem bolts to rotate the handlebars down. It didn't prevent the damage I had.
  • FatTed
    "But on my outbound trip to Tucson in the Scicon, the bike was detached from the frame when it arrived".
    Is that not the TSA
    A 44 cm bar around a 42 bar is not quite wide enough