New Deore Hydraulic Brakes - do I need a bleed kit

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I have some new Deore kit to fit to my lads bike. The levers and calipers are back to front (left - front, right - rear), and the hose will need shortening on both. Any way to do them carefully and not require a bleed kit? Or what is the cheapest workable kit? Or likely cost if I set them up the best I can then ask a bike shop to switch and cut the hose.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cut the hose carefully and you should get away with it. I was fine with my Deore and Zee brakes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As above, cut carefully, have the cut end of the hose upward, have all the bits like olive and spiky thing ready, and it helps to have an extra set of hands.

If it doesn't work, best bleed kit

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    While you are perusing the Epic site check out their 'How to Shorten Shimano Hoses without Bleeding' instructions.

I have followed the instructions when fitting 3 sets of brakes and had no problems.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    While you are perusing the Epic site check out their 'How to Shorten Shimano Hoses without Bleeding' instructions.

I have followed the instructions when fitting 3 sets of brakes and had no problems.

+1...followed these instructions to the letter and no issues, swapping deore brakes from my bike to my son's! :wink:
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I've used that method on four sets of Shimano brakes, it worked first time but failed the last three. Fortunately bleeding Shimano brakes with the epicbleedsolutions kit/instructions is dead easy.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite