Greenwich foot tunnel

condorman
condorman Posts: 811
edited November 2015 in Commuting general
I shall shortly need to start commuting from Bromley to Stratford and the most direct route seems to be to use the Greenwich foot tunnel. Does anyone else use the foot tunnel on a daily basis? I've seen some previous threads that suggest that everyone cycles through it anyway but I was intending to wheel the bike through the tunnel. Does it ever close for maintenance or "incidents"? Google maps seems to suggest a rather circuitous route through Canary Wharf but I suspect that's because I ticked the cycling option which tends to throw up some odd routes.

Any advice or suggestions from regular users of that route or foot tunnel?
Condor Pista
50x16

Comments

• Commuting chat might get you a quicker response tbh
  • Just give a go and see how you feel. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62lF54Lk4Ro
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I used the tunnel a couple of times this summer. People do ride through it, but of course you're not meant to. I didn't really enjoy using the tunnel though, waiting for the lifts seemed to take an age, so preferred to use Tower Bridge.
  • They do sometimes close it, but then you have the option of getting the Thames Clipper, Woolwich tunnel or Tower Bridge. The nicest route up to Stratford from there is probably via the Limehouse Cut (canal).
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Is there still an operator in the lift? I was under the impression they would sometimes not allow people into the lift if they had seen them riding through?
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    They got rid of the operators last year when they replaced the lifts.

Every fecker rides through. The aholes ride fast but most people have the decency and common sense to at least ride with caution.

I've only ever seen the police in the middle booking people for riding through once and I commuted Greenwich to CW for 4 years.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • Thanks for all the replies. I shall give it a go and see how I get on.
    Condor Pista
    50x16