creaking tandem

wrinklybiker
wrinklybiker Posts: 2
edited November 2015 in Road general
I have a Trek T2000 tandem with Ultegra and Bontrager kit. The machine developes a creak after about 15 miles of riding that increases in volume as the ride progresses, achieving what may be called 'embarrasing' volume after about 30 miles. The sound continues when one rider have their feet off the pedals, or their weight off the saddles. I've changed the rear bracket, greased the splines on the casette, greased the spoke 'crosssings', oiled the chains, greased the chainset bolts, greased and tightened the crank securing bolts. I can't see any cracks to either the rear wheel or the frame. I cant try a different back wheel because I dont have another that width. Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    can you take some video of the creaking tandem and upload it to youtube - the audio may give a few more clues ...
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Do you have an external nylon cam quick release? It's sometimes difficult to get these to grip tightly enough, and the extra twisting forces from a tandem may be enough to get it to shift slightly and cause a noise. A good all metal internal cam QR such as Shimano or Campag will grip much more tightly.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    mmm, I have also found that if I go out for a ride with my wife that a small whining begins after 15 miles and gets steadily worse. Noise seems to disappear completely when riding on my own.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    mmm, I have also found that if I go out for a ride with my wife that a small whining begins after 15 miles and gets steadily worse. Noise seems to disappear completely when riding on my own.

Well, it doesn't do to be talking to yourself, does it?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Sometimes it is the only way I can get an intelligent conversation :)