Views on Shimano Ultegra 6800 Wheelset?

chris2392
chris2392 Posts: 30
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

I've been looking for a new set of wheels to speed up my bike a little, it came with fulcrum 7s but they seem a little lifeless. Im looking for shallow/medium rim depth clinchers, no need for aero. I really like the look of the racing 3s but don't like thr white hubs so now my attention has been drawn to the Ultegra 6800s as they look fairly decent and are priced almost 100 below my £300 budget. I wanted to get people's opinions on these and obviously if you have better ideas then I would appreciate it!

Thanks for your time

Chris

Comments

• I've done about 12,000 km on a set of these. I used them on my only bike for 8 months. They are running true and smooth still (I've recently serviced both hubs, just to pre-empt any wear).

I'm 65kg, they feel stiff to me and the hubs roll better than any sealed bearing I've had before.

I used them first with Conti GP4000s 23mm and then put a set of Bontrager R3 tubeless 25mm on to go to Flanders and Roubaix this spring.

I'd recommend running them tubeless. I've not had a puncture since (~8,000 km). They don't have spoke holes in the rim bed, so no need to faff with tape. Just buy an appropriate tyre, add a little sealant and inflate. My tubeless setup came out similar weight to the GP4000s with medium weight butyl tubes.

The only downside is that now the front rim could do with changing, but it's £90 for replacement, and with the low spoke count there aren't a huge amount of other options. So really, once the rim goes, the wheel is written off. A shame, because the hubs are still running well.

Would I buy them again? Well, they've been a perfect all round wheelset, good enough to race on, and sturdy enough to train / commute /ride through grime on. However, now I have two bikes, I'd go with wheelsets more specialized to each bikes use (lightweight and aero for race bike, high spoke count tubeless for commuter /winter bike).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Probably the most middle of the road average wheels out there, Not particulary heavy nor light. Pretty average get the job done wheels with decent reliablity.

Vanilla is the best word to describe them. Will do the job but don't expect them to set your rides alight

You could pay more for slightly better and pay the same for a lot worse.

If they tick all your boxes, get them
  • If you like the Fulcrum 3 how about the Zonda. Almost an identical wheel but it doesn't come with the troublesome white hub
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    I would have thought that for under £300 Zondas would be the best option by a mile. Light, pretty bombproof and don't need much user servicing (plus they also look really nice!).

Wheels around this price have been debated on here so many times, but I've had the Zondas on a previous bike and they are a great wheelset - they should hopefully give you a more lively feel (although don't be expecting any tumbling times!). Im waiting to after winter to stick a new set on my Domane - they are as good a wheel as ill ever need.
  • bsharp77
    If you like the Fulcrum 3 how about the Zonda. Almost an identical wheel but it doesn't come with the troublesome white hub

:)
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    You could always have my Shimano RS81s listed here which are well under budget and a much bigger step up in performance ?
    viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13039586
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Anonymous
    I would have thought that for under £300 Zondas would be the best option by a mile. Light, pretty bombproof and don't need much user servicing (plus they also look really nice!).

Bombproof Zondas aint.

Had my rear wheel trued after 4 months. Still in shop awaiting new spokes after 1 snapped 2 months later. Yes they are great and roll nicely but the pain getting them repaired is annoying.

Sealed rims with no visable spoke holes just make repairs unnecessarily difficult.
  • bsharp77
    Bombproof Zondas aint.

Yeah, sorry bombproof is probably not the best description - but they are at least as robust, if not more so than any other light-ish wheelset around that price bracket.
  • http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-wh-rs81-c24-carbon-laminate-clincher-wheelset/

RS81's are £320 brand new. Much better than the Ultegras if you aren't bothered about tubeless.
  • galatzo
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-wh-rs81-c24-carbon-laminate-clincher-wheelset/

RS81's are £320 brand new. Much better than the Ultegras if you aren't bothered about tubeless.

So my used ones look a right deal then !
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-wh-rs81-c24-carbon-laminate-clincher-wheelset/

Available for £289.79 on CRC with BC discount.
  • Anonymous
    In spite of the sealed rims, the zonda wheels are very easy to repair with the supplied kit and a coupe of Allen keys. Spokes are tricky to get hold of though. Maybe 3-4 quid each?
  • galatzo
    Just out of interest were would you rank Ksyrium Elites against Zondas and RS81s ?
    All used to be a similar price a few years ago but Zondas have come right down, RS81s a bit and Elites hardly at all (although they do include tyres now) with the exception of the recent CRC offer on 2014 Elites.
  • Cheers for thr advice guys!

After checking out the Zondas I liked them and bought them right there and then!

Just another quick question, what size tyres would you guys pair them with?

I've always had 23s on my bikes but everyone seems to be fitting 25s and even 28s these days and I was curious about trying it myself?

Thanks

Chris
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Just out of interest were would you rank Ksyrium Elites against Zondas and RS81s ?
    All used to be a similar price a few years ago but Zondas have come right down, RS81s a bit and Elites hardly at all (although they do include tyres now) with the exception of the recent CRC offer on 2014 Elites.

I've got both but I prefer the RS81s, I find them a nicer ride than the elites plus aesthetically the elite rims look shite... but the latest gen do look better.
    I'd assume that the Zondas are a little cheaper due to the weight and marmite spoke pattern :)
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Just another quick question, what size tyres would you guys pair them with?
    I would definitely go for 25s. Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick tyres and associated tubes are good value for money.