My first TT, but which one?

Triathlondaddy
Triathlondaddy Posts: 2
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to invest in a new bike for next year, my first time trial bike.
I'm coming from a reasonably low base fitness-wise, having only been competing for 2-3 years, so I'm not shelling out loads.
My knowledge of groupsets, wheels, etc is also quite low so the question is which one of these three bikes should I buy?

Planet X Stealth http://www.planetx.co.uk/...l-11-time-trial-bike
Ribble Aero http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...nf_BB_TTB&bike=1
Felt B-16 http://www.tredz.co.uk/...TsxJg4kUhoC_N3w_wcB#

Any and all help greatly appreciated :)
Thanks

Comments

• The most important thing is the position. What you need to spend your time on is determining what will work for you. Any TT (or track, in the case of fixed gear)-specific frame should be fine as long as it's the right size.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Book a Retul fit with Planet X and get them to fit you for the Stealth. It's a cracking frame - as used in the Tour under another marque. You don't need to go OTT with groupset - but a nice set of wheels helps.
  • Book a Retul fit with Planet X and get them to fit you for the Stealth. It's a cracking frame - as used in the Tour under another marque. You don't need to go OTT with groupset - but a nice set of wheels helps.

Or wait for the Exocet 3.....
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    I'm currently building my own. I already had some Superstar Components wheels (£600) and some extension bars (£45). I bought a Cervelo P2 frame for £950 and all the rest cost under £400. It's a mixture of second hand and heavily reduced new. I've ended up with a P2 with decent wheels and a mix of Sram Force and Shimano Ultegra for under £2k. It took under a week to buy all the parts. Just waiting for them all to come through so i can put them together. If you bough a second hand frame or something like a Planet X you cold do it for under £1,500 comfortably.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You could wait for the Exocet 3 - but it will be a lot more money.

When I was at PX I did see their salesguy talking a bloke out of the Exocet - he was just getting into Ironman and had more money than sense. His wife seemed happy with the salesman. Funny that.

I'd be amazed if you could see any faster times off the Exocet than the Stealth.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Book a Retul fit with Planet X and get them to fit you for the Stealth. It's a cracking frame - as used in the Tour under another marque. You don't need to go OTT with groupset - but a nice set of wheels helps.

Complete waste of time and money.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Scour the TT forum classifieds for used stuff
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach