Birdy price guide

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited November 2015 in Commuting general
I normally commute on my trusty Claude Butler Dalesman, (only the frame is now original) but I've been tempted recently to get a folder to take part of the way on the train. Getting old...

I've just seen a local advert for a Birdy Mk I with Rohloff gears, Schmid und Son hub dynamo, Brooks saddle and Magura hydraulic brakes. Looks to be in good condition with only a couple of scuffs on the frame. Early 2000s by the look of it, but probably not used much in recent years.

Assuming it is in the excellent conditions advertised, what would be a reasonable asking price?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    From your description I'd say around £500 would be a good price (from the buyer point of view)....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    From your description I'd say around £500 would be a good price (from the buyer point of view)....

Thanks, thats pretty much what they're asking, £550.

Is there anyting in particular you should look out for on a second hand Birdy? I've read that the head tube was prone to cracking in the early models?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd heard that (Pashley as well as it happens)....just a good visual check of everything like buying any bike, and check bikeregister.com as well!

While Rohloff are very reliable, check it carefully in and out of every gear as repairs are eye wateringly expensive I believe!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.