Injury niggles

phil_o
phil_o Posts: 3
edited November 2015 in Health, fitness & training
Hi

I'm new to the board and relatively new to cycling having started it seriously (for me) a couple of years ago. I recently retired from work and have been putting more into my exercise routines and have started to really push myself at Spin classes although I only go 3 times a week. Also I go out on my road bike weekly for about 40 miles. I've started to have a few niggles after a ride - be that a spin class or road bike - and I feel pain in my hips and knees but only when climbing stairs. I don't want to admit its an age thing ... although it might be. But I wondered if it may be due to poor bike fit or technique. I'd welcome your views on this

Phil

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would start with your bike fit assuming you have no long term injuries and warm up properly before exerting yourself. Knee pain can come from incorrect foot position when clipped in, saddle position for/ aft or the saddle being too high / low. You may also have just pulled something and need a few days rest and then carefully build things back up.

For the saddle for / aft position KOPS is a useful starting point which you can adjust to suit you. For saddle height, if your hips rock as you pedal and your feet point downwards to reach the pedals your saddle is too high. Make changes one by one and test ride. It took me a couple of weeks to get my new bike right even having the old one as a comparison.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Agree with the above posters, but sorting your bike fit out, isnt going to help the spin class. and it seems that its there your doing the bulk of you exercise ?

Unless you have left something out, your regime consist entirely of ''cycling'' related exercise. Doing one limited set of exercises exclusively will cause you body to deform as the developed muscles pull it in one direction and the undeveloped muscles cant counter balance. Taken to extremes, consider the ''body builders'' you se,e where their whole upper body is twisted forwards and their arms permanently bent.

Mountain biking isnt so bad, as by its nature it uses quite a lot of muscle groups, standing, lifting pulling pushing. Spin classes and road ridding are just sit there and peddle,

My advice is to drop one or two of the spin classes and replace them with a more whole body exercise. pilates for instance or circuit training and give the rest of your body chance to catch up
  • Thanks for your comments - it has been very helpful. I will look to get a bike fit and change my gym classes around a bit

Thanks again
  • Cycling, running, athletics, dance and competitive sports place extraordinary demands on an athlete’s feet, legs, spine and entire body.

Sometimes expert help is needed. We offer efficient diagnosis, effective treatment and intelligent advice and use low-intensity laser, ultrasound and electrotherapy modalities as well as medical acupuncture, soft-tissue manipulation, mobilisation and massage techniques, as necessary, to achieve optimal results.

We are happy to help. Call us to ask any questions or just send us an email at mail@sayerclinics.com.

Wishing you good health.