Supplying Power / Electrics to the shed ??

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

Next year I will be building up a new shed where I want to do a 'proper' workshop for my motorbike and my bike.

I would like to install / supply some power to the shed (light, sockets etc.).

What is the best way to do it ??
What are the building control restrictions etc.?
Do I need to apply for any permission to the Council ??

Chris

Comments

• As it happens I'm currently looking to do an inverter type system with a solar trickle. Should do lights and lower lever power and charging.

Do you own where it'll be?
  • kinioo
    As it happens I'm currently looking to do an inverter type system with a solar trickle. Should do lights and lower lever power and charging.

Do you own where it'll be?

Yes, it will be in our garden - we are the home owners.

C.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Kinoo assuming you are in the UK, the following is a rough guide. All electrical work should be carried out by a qualified electrician and tested to the current IEE regulations by a Part P or NICEIC registered company. Normal rule of thumb Is that you are ok replacing a light, socket, switch etc but anything else is supposed to be qualified and registered tradesperson,s in much the same way the old Corgi gas register used to work now GAS SAFE. However the above does not stop you going down to the local DIY store and buying whatever electrical stuff you want and doing it yourself. I currently do my own and will continue to do so till physically unable to as I am a qualified electrician but not Part P, even I am supposed to use a registered part P tradesperson. Oops. Some local councils will prosecute if they catch you out, this is normally as a result of cowboy work or similar. As to building regs etc I can't really comment other than some areas don't like sheds bigger than 8 ft x 6 ft. Hopefully you can get a shed / workshop sorted.

Having sat through the 17th edition course about 12 months ago, its far from clear where the cut off point is legally. BUT there is nothing at all to stop you from installing the system and then paying for the final connection and test to be done by a qualified person,

Designing a wiring system for an external structure up to comply with the IEE regs is quite complicated and will involve getting your calculator out and doing a multitude of calculation, on volt drop , impedance and fault current to name but 3
  • kinioo
    Kinoo assuming you are in the UK, the following is a rough guide. All electrical work should be carried out by a qualified electrician and tested to the current IEE regulations by a Part P or NICEIC registered company. Normal rule of thumb Is that you are ok replacing a light, socket, switch etc but anything else is supposed to be qualified and registered tradesperson,s in much the same way the old Corgi gas register used to work now GAS SAFE. However the above does not stop you going down to the local DIY store and buying whatever electrical stuff you want and doing it yourself. I currently do my own and will continue to do so till physically unable to as I am a qualified electrician but not Part P, even I am supposed to use a registered part P tradesperson. Oops. Some local councils will prosecute if they catch you out, this is normally as a result of cowboy work or similar. As to building regs etc I can't really comment other than some areas don't like sheds bigger than 8 ft x 6 ft. Hopefully you can get a shed / workshop sorted.

Having sat through the 17th edition course about 12 months ago, its far from clear where the cut off point is legally. BUT there is nothing at all to stop you from installing the system and then paying for the final connection and test to be done by a qualified person,

Designing a wiring system for an external structure up to comply with the IEE regs is quite complicated and will involve getting your calculator out and doing a multitude of calculation, on volt drop , impedance and fault current to name but 3

es, this is what I was thinking of.

My father in law is a qualified electrician but in Germany - he can do all the work for me and then I can get some UK registered electrician to get it certified / approved etc. ?!

C.
  • Yes. But let's face it who's actually going to know? If you got rejected for an insurance claim is probably to worst that could happen if it was all pukka but not approved/certified.
  • brianbee
    Yes. But let's face it who's actually going to know? If you got rejected for an insurance claim is probably to worst that could happen if it was all pukka but not approved/certified.

They might notice if it burns down the house or indeed electrocutes someone ?

But ultimately your correct, the chances of discovery are low. If indeed he makes a passable job of the installation. BUT what your suggesting he does is a criminal offence. I wouldn't suggest he should break the law, particularly as encouraging someone to commit a criminal is a criminal offence in its own right
  • brianbee

es, this is what I was thinking of.

My father in law is a qualified electrician but in Germany - he can do all the work for me and then I can get some UK registered electrician to get it certified / approved etc. ?!

C.

Find someone who is will to do the test/connection before you go to the trouble of installing it
  • Yes. But let's face it who's actually going to know? If you got rejected for an insurance claim is probably to worst that could happen if it was all pukka but not approved/certified.

They might notice if it burns down the house or indeed electrocutes someone ?

But ultimately your correct, the chances of discovery are low. If indeed he makes a passable job of the installation. BUT what your suggesting he does is a criminal offence. I wouldn't suggest he should break the law, particularly as encouraging someone to commit a criminal is a criminal offence in its own right

I was in no way telling him to go and do it. Just thinking about if he or I did. I decided against it and will run an inverter for lights and low power and run a extension cable for high power when dry.