Rapha make a Thermosuit

bendertherobot
bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
edited November 2015 in Road general
And it's a tad more expensive than Castelli's one.

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/pro-team-thermal-aerosuit/product/PTA01
My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
Facebook? No. Just say no.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Nice bright colour for winter!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Not much between that and a wetsuit. Just needs a snorkel and the look is complete.
  • Pass the eye bleach please.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Pass the eye bleach please.
    Seriously? How can anyone find that bad - there is nothing to it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I actually quite like it, although it's funny that this gets so much attention when Castelli have been selling something similar for a while now and nobody bats an eyelid. They should definitely rename it the Rapha Winter Onesie though.
  • It's an odd one. I rated the Pro Team Softshell as being poor. Rapha suggest that the top half is based on the pro team jacket. To me it looks like the Pro Team softshell. Which would mean it's not really as warm as the Castelli. IF that's the case. Otherwise, meh. No idea why anyone would choose it over the Castelli.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    For a bit of extra visibility, you could add a Sam Brown belt from Halfords.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Would it have killed them to add some reflectives for the legs ?

I can see they have reflective on the top - but thats no use for cars joining roads on your left.

Almost reasonably priced for Rapha - I was expecting more.
  • I'd buy it if I could afford it
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Can't see that it offers anything over the Castelli Thermosuit, which is quite brilliant by the way...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • ddraver
    Is it supposed to?
    - @ddraver
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Can't understand why they make it black then make a big deal out of reflective stripes. If you want it to be more visible, don't make it black! Never really like the idea of a onesie though, not my sort of thing.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • ddraver
    Never really like the idea of a onesie though, not my sort of thing.

They hark. back to the All in One ski suits too much for me...
    - @ddraver
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Just been out in my Castelli "onesie" and think the concept is great in use. I'd said earlier I couldn't see what the Rapha version offered over the Castelli. To carry on the comparisons to frogmen outfits, maybe the Rapha is more US Navy SEAL to Castelli's homage to the Cousteau Aquanauts of the 70's. I loved those funky underwater "flying saucer" subs and cool frogman helmet things, so maybe that why I like my Thermosuit so much! Only downside to either is if they get totalled in a crash. That's an expensive item to write off in one go, whereas normally either the separate bottoms or top may take the brunt leaving the other relatively unscathed...I still think they belong on the "cool wall" though
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Only downside to either is if they get totalled in a crash. That's an expensive item to write off in one go

That only applies to the Castelli. If you crash wearing a Rapha item you send it back to them free of charge, they fix it for free of charge and they mail it back to you free of charge.
  • amack
    amack Posts: 70
    I like the look of the Castelli one, but the Rapha pad is much more comfortable, I really don't get on with the X2 pad that much. I wish Rapha had added a bit of colour to the top half or more reflective bits. I quite like the onsie concept for winter riding.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It sounds like a lot of laundry though ?

In winter the kit next to the skin gets washed every time - but the outer layers can do a few journeys really ?

If you're washing this each time you're in it - is it that durable ?

I think Separates are more versatile - I mean god knows how many combinations of kit you go through at this time of year.