BB30 replacement

jimmocrates
jimmocrates Posts: 131
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Help! My bottom bracket sounds and feels like its turned into a pepper grinder.
I'm confused on what the best option would be - do they tend to be fixable? Is it best off replacing like for like (ie with another BB30) or would another type of BB be compatible which is less temperamental?

(My Bike is a Boardman pro HT. I've read awful things about BB30, but not seen too many suggestions about the best solution)

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Your BB has to match your BB shell and cranks, so like for like.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I'd be interested to know the options for this as I've a Boardman frame that I would like to build up and not sure on what bottom bracket to buy that would fit a shimano deore crank

Jimmocrates, depends what is on there as I believe boardman use Sram components on there bikes so it is likely to be a GXP bottom bracket in a press fit type that you may need, unless it is a threaded bottom bracket for a 68/73mm size.
  • Thanks
    I was hoping there was an adaptor or something that I could get - the XT/XTR on chain reaction are usually reasonably priced and people seem to rate them highly. It is SRAM (after years of shimano, I do actually really like SRAM)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Plenty of BB30 to HT2 crank adaptors available - Praxis Works has the best rep, or KCNC a bit less spendy:
    http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P955/product

BB30 is a crock - it's only endearing feature is it's easy to throw-away
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I used an features adaptor.it's pressed in allowing me to fit external BBC that I can now service easily. lbs did it for a tenner
  • Remove you chainset, clean out any crud, reassemble, retorque, see if there's any improvement - this solves BB30 problems more often than not
    If you need new bearings you can get them for under £20
    If you really want to change bearings and chainset then you can get cheaper adapters that fit into the exiasting bearings, of more expensive ones that replace them altogether