Help..tyre clearance

karldh
karldh Posts: 34
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Just got a BMC slr02 to replace my stolen Scott Cr1, I am buying a new set of wheels for my Bmc which currently has 23mm ultra sports on shimano Rs10, there appears to be plenty of clearance rear and front but suspect not enough for 28mm tyres.The wheels will be for summer all round use.
I am considering going tubeless with 25mm schwalbe one pro tubeless on something like a pacenti sl23 rim, does anyone know how wide this combo would come up, an alternative is the same tyre on a Hunt aero race wheel set, anyone assist with width of that combo? I can then get an idea of clearance front and rear, the ride on 23mm is actually very good but having used 25mm before I know they can even more difference
I know from experience of using 25mm gp4000s on Mavic kysirium elites on my Scott that this combo would likely fit on the Bmc but the rim on those was quite narrow keeping the tyre width close to stated width
Any help/ past experiences/ advice appreciated
kdh

Comments

• Hi,

Ive got no experience with your frameset but i am having problems with the pacenti rim. The rim caused my gp4000s 23mm tires to sit 27.5mm and catch the chain stays on my cervelo s3. The cervelo is able to take 25mm tires.

The rim is strong and light but there is a compromise with the tyres that you can use. From the ww site, the rims would cause the schwalbe one tire to sit 25mm for the 23mm tires and 27.5mm for the 25mm tires for example. If I'm honest i wish id opted for a different rim for my build!
    if i was building the wheel again, id go for the archetype rim with open tubulars. this is a really good rim with the feel of a tubular and the convenience of a clincher. Let me know if you fancy my set of pacenti's!
  • karldh
    Crikey
    Thanks for that very useful information
    kdh
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    Just got a BMC slr02 to replace my stolen Scott Cr1, ...

Going on a tangent, I'm just interested as I've just had my uninsured :( Cannondale Supersix stolen, gutted is phrase I believe, did you have your bike insured? If so what kind of insurance was it and did they pay out OK and roughly how much was it costing you and what were the stipulations (eg using a particular lock) to comply? Thanks.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Most folks cover their bikes under household insurance but the usual caveats are a maximum payout (unless it is a named and therefore costly) item and rules like "must be securely locked to a permanent structure if left in public". Worth having a search or starting a thread as it is a fairly common theme.
  • karldh
    Had four bikes stolen from locked garage. Home insurance paid out a max of £1000 per bike which I knew was the limit, only my Scott was worth well in excess of that so have to take that one on the chin. M and S insurance thru Axa who were very good throughout it all, given me a change of bike I suppose
    Re topic Been in communication with hunt wheels re their rims and the schwalbe one pro 25 mm, they replied very promptly and were most helpful, cheers Josh, 25 mm on season aero race would be just a bit wider but same tyre on season aero race wide would make tyres 27.5mm wide so first option would be better for my frame
    kdh