Id'ing a Serotta Fierte

jamesdak
jamesdak Posts: 4
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Going to look a a Fierte tomorrow and it's hard to find info on them. Does anyone know for sure what years they were made? Also, did all of them have carbon fiber seat stays? Every reference I found says they do yet from the pics this bike looks to have steel seat stays. The fork is a CF Reynold Ouzo Pro. The bike is a steel frame not TI or the TI/carbon mix. I'd love any input on them. I'm just looking at getting into a more comfortable frame for use on rough chipseal roads on rides that typically go anywhere from 20 - 100 miles.

Thanks,

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I serviced one for a friend, it had steel stays. Perceptions of comfort vary significantly between a small, light rider and a tall, heavy one - wider rims and fatter tyres would be more important comfort-wise.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I have a steel one, had one since 2003. Used now mainly for commuting and training, very comfy, have taken it all over the place. Tyre and wheel choice is important for the type of surfaces you describe. The frame can take 28 mm tyres, so you have some flexibility too.
  • I have a steel one, had one since 2003. Used now mainly for commuting and training, very comfy, have taken it all over the place. Tyre and wheel choice is important for the type of surfaces you describe. The frame can take 28 mm tyres, so you have some flexibility too.

That's good new on the 28mm tires and what I was hoping for. I ride to maintain my health and do at least 20 miles a day. But a bad lower back and knees has me with a very relaxed, upright fit and wanting a cushy ride more than anything. Hence my search for affordable biking comfort.

I found reference to the model being made from 2006-2009 with the carbon seat stays so if this one does have steel one's I'll guess it's earlier. That not a bad thing to me. I like the ride of my 2000 Lemond Zurich and a 1999 Schwinn Circuit I foolishly sold has been my favorite so far.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    www.cyclefit.co.uk is your contact re Serotta as they were the UK dealers. Email them.
    M.Rushton