KMC or Sram quicklinks or neither...?

neilus
neilus Posts: 245
edited November 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
I needed about 30 mins to unsnap my KMC Missing link last night, it was the second time in as many attemps that its been like that and man it is really, really frustrating!!!
Checked on some other forums, feedback about the Sram ones seemed slightly better...but i was just talking to a mate who works in a LBS and he said he doesnt bother with them for above reasons, ie they can be an absolute bugger to unsnap, and uses a chain cleaning thingy, chain stays on bike.
Thoughts...?

Comments

• Depends on the speed....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The speed of the chain. Some master links are single use.

But there's a knack opening them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • neilus
    Yeah it seems so, this was on a KMC X10 on a new Trance1. Apparently it is a Missing Link, which is not one of the one-use links. I dunno, its been a while since I took it off, maybe the longer they stay on the harder it is to undo, that could be possible...
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    even the one use ones come off easy with the super B link tool
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I agree. The Superstar ones make short work of the 'one use' ones. I use SRAM on the MTB and KMC on the road bike generally (as I use those brands of chain!), both fine.
  • I've a question regarding those pliers. Do they work on the SRAM 10 speed links also? I know they designed for single use and they don't like to be re-used.
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    They will work on any releasable link.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They work just as well on the non-reusable links, such as SRAM Powerlocks for 10/11 speed. I'd question whether it's a particularly good idea to keep rejoining them, as they're not designed for it, but they do work fine.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Hi
    I needed about 30 mins to unsnap my KMC Missing link last night, it was the second time in as many attemps that its been like that and man it is really, really frustrating!!!
    Checked on some other forums, feedback about the Sram ones seemed slightly better...but i was just talking to a mate who works in a LBS and he said he doesnt bother with them for above reasons, ie they can be an absolute bugger to unsnap, and uses a chain cleaning thingy, chain stays on bike.
    Thoughts...?
    I think you just need to find the right "go-to" solution for those difficult links and then just use that as the default way of opening them. Since I spent (on and off) best part of a day trying and failing to get one pair of links undone, I now follow one of two options for every link, unless it just pops readily in my hand.

Option 1 - resting one end of the link on the chainwheel, and the other raised up in the air, tap with a hammer from the top, hitting off-centre so that one side slides past the other. Usually done after giving the link a shot of WD40 or similar to clean it up.

Option 2 - my slightly lampooned suggestion of using a shoelace - thread it across both sides of the link, and tie the two ends of the lace together. Then put a solid object inside the loop of the lace and twist, and twist, and twist until the pressure on the two links pulls them together.

Both options work quickly and reliably on hard to remove links (IMHO), with KMC being the predominant type used in my house (though I've also used SRAM and decathlon's own brand (may be KMC or SRAM in disguise, I don't know).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • neilus
    Hi
    Thoughts...?
    I think you just need to find the right "go-to" solution for those difficult links and then just use that as the default way of opening them. Since I spent (on and off) best part of a day trying and failing to get one pair of links undone, I now follow one of two options for every link, unless it just pops readily in my hand.

Option 1 - resting one end of the link on the chainwheel, and the other raised up in the air, tap with a hammer from the top, hitting off-centre so that one side slides past the other. Usually done after giving the link a shot of WD40 or similar to clean it up.

Option 2 - my slightly lampooned suggestion of using a shoelace - thread it across both sides of the link, and tie the two ends of the lace together. Then put a solid object inside the loop of the lace and twist, and twist, and twist until the pressure on the two links pulls them together.

Both options work quickly and reliably on hard to remove links (IMHO), with KMC being the predominant type used in my house (though I've also used SRAM and decathlon's own brand (may be KMC or SRAM in disguise, I don't know).

Brilliant! I did actually try a string loop method (two seperate loops tied around each pin then yanked in opposite directions, nah it didnt work). Chainring method sounds good too.
    Im gonna try and get in the habit of taking it off every few rides, maybe a wee blob of grease, and see if things get easier. I reckon if you leave them on for months on end, ride a a lot, its gonna be way more of a bugger to shift than if you take it off every few weeks.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    My shoelace method was the one which worked for me when I'd run out of ideas, but in fairness this was before wiser folk suggested the hammer method which I've used successfully since. I'd also point out, as no doubt others would, that the plates of the link need to be squeezed together too a little so that they slide in the right slot. Sometimes just that squeezing together is the missing piece of the jigsaw.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Just use a set of mole grips/pliers and get the edge of the nose on either side of the link (you need to fold up a link) and compress in the correct direction using the correct corners and it just pops.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298

+1 here.
    that said. I've always found I can remove the Sram ones by hand. KMC need the tool. I'm talking 9 speed here.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130