Which carbon bars and stem - total £100

steeeevo
steeeevo Posts: 27
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Which carbon bars and seat post should I buy for my Ribble 872?

I'm looking to spend around £100 in total.

Any suggestions greatly received.

Steve.

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    That's not a lot of budget, and you're not going to achieve much here...

What you might achieve:
    1) A more flat topped handlebar that might be more comfortable
    2) A handlebar which might transmit a bit less road buzz to your hands.
    3) A seatpost which might transfer a bit less road buzz.
    4) The carbon look on a couple more things on your bike

What you won't get...
    1) Any significant weight benefit
    2) Any speed benefit

So, if you're looking for things in the first list then great, if you're expecting anything in the second forget it.

£100 is not a lot of budget anyway, the seatpost you might get for £50 but good carbon bars cost a fair bit, like £150 and up. You might be better looking at your reasons, if they are related to replacing cheap stuff that came on the ribble simply because you want to then maybe a good lightweight alloy bar and a carbon seatpost might be a better idea.
  • Just been looking at bars and yeah, they are pricey!

With regards to the post, I really want the carbon look but I am happy to go with alloy bars if there is no real benefits as people can't even see the bars once they're taped.

Any suggestions for what to go for and where to buy to maximise savings?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    Deda Zero 100 bars. No nonsense aluminium bars that you can find on some pros' bikes. Usually fairly cheap on Ribble, particularly if you wait for on of their 10% off promotions.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Carbon has its uses - but not for bars or stems. Alloy is as light and a heck of a lot cheaper.
  • Carbon has its uses - but not for bars or stems. Alloy is as light and a heck of a lot cheaper.
    Except its not as light and the same benefits apply to carbon bars as they do to seatposts.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Carbon has its uses - but not for bars or stems. Alloy is as light and a heck of a lot cheaper.
    Except its not as light and the same benefits apply to carbon bars as they do to seatposts.

Carbon bars are notoriously expensive and I don't think there are any weight gains unless you pay ££££££.
  • fenix

OP has a budget of £100 - he's not going to get lighter bars than alloy and a stem for that kind of budget.
    Yes you can get light carbon - but its what - 3 x the price of alloy. (just comparing FSA kit) and saves 60gr.

As to the damping of the bars - I think you achieve more with lowering pressure in the tyres.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    As to the damping of the bars - I think you achieve more with lowering pressure in the tyres.

or thicker handlebar tape ;)
  • Sorry. Thought you were talking about carbon bars regardless of expense. Personally wouldn't go near budget carbon bars. On those terms, your'e right. No weight benefit plus its not worth the risk of having them snap. A friend of mine recently bought some cheap(ish) chinese copies and they snapped on a 40mph decsent!
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • fenix
    Jeez. That's less than desireable !
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Deda Zero 100 bars. No nonsense aluminium bars that you can find on some pros' bikes. Usually fairly cheap on Ribble, particularly if you wait for on of their 10% off promotions.
    ^^These^^
  • Agree with the others 100%. If you really want carbon stem and bars, at least treble your budget!

I'd get round bike shops and try friends' bikes - try as many different bars as you can - see what bars suit you and your hands. I tried a few including 3T ergonovas before setting on my Syntace racelites.

Look at the shapes - do you like a flatter top? a chunky bar? What about the shape of the drops? I have quite big hands to dislike the shape of many compact drops.

Whereabouts are you?

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Deda Zero 100 bars. No nonsense aluminium bars that you can find on some pros' bikes. Usually fairly cheap on Ribble, particularly if you wait for on of their 10% off promotions.
    ^^These^^

A vote here too. If they're good enough for the current Pro peloton (Lotto Soudal)

As for a stem - you can get alu stems that weigh a lot less than the very top end carbon efforts. Ritchey's WCS C260 and the Deda Superleggero are excellent.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,877
    Yep for £100, you would be looking at chinese made components off of ebay or similar.

Bargains do sometimes appear.

I managed to land some Ritchey Streem (Wing top) Carbon bars for £90, some FSA ones for £80, and some 3T ones for £110.

Clearly I appreciate you are not going to get a carbon stem for £20, but just saying that if you get a bit lucky, you can find some reasonable priced kit out there.

In fact all of the above came from CRC now I think about it!

EDIT: Just noticed the subject says bars and stem, but then the first line says bars and seatpost!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • For £135 I know someone selling a Lightweight carbon bar, 165g I think it is.

That's where my £100 (+ some scraping under the sofa) would go.
  • Thanks for all the replies guys. In the end I plumped for these (slightly over budget I know!)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-sl-k-mtc-sb0-seatpost-2015/rp-prod129447

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/3t-ergosum-pro-alloy-road-handlebar/rp-prod55161

More than happy with them.

Thanks for all the input.

Steve.
  • Going to open a car of worms but...

Been using various carbon bars/stems for roading and mob for years sourced direct from China via aliexpress.

Don't knock it till you try it.

£50 will get you some good'uns.