Too many options these days! Where to start???

AK4900PA
AK4900PA Posts: 3
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
When I bought my last bike, a 2007 Trek 4500, I don't remember having this many options. I'm currently 6'7" 295lb and plan on doing mostly recreational trail riding. This is where I would be riding the majority of the time...

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/huntsville-state-park.html

27.5+
29+
Fat Bike

For my size, riding locale, and riding style is one of these better for me than the others. I'm trying to figure this out so I can start shopping particular models. If it's a deciding factor my budget will be <$3000.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Forget wheel size and get some test rides.
    Worth remembering that plus sizes tyres are expensive and choices are very limited.
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    When I bought my last bike, a 2007 Trek 4500, I don't remember having this many options. I'm currently 6'7" 295lb and plan on doing mostly recreational trail riding. This is where I would be riding the majority of the time...

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/huntsville-state-park.html

27.5+
    29+
    Fat Bike

For my size, riding locale, and riding style is one of these better for me than the others. I'm trying to figure this out so I can start shopping particular models. If it's a deciding factor my budget will be <$3000.
    The wheels size is really the least of your problems, 26 are getting harder to find, certainly on the better bikes. A fat bike is a completely different kettle fish you either want one or you don't. I would, in you circumstances be tempted by a 29er, but only because the whole thing will look more in proportion

Your chief concern should be finding one that a) fits and b) is going to with stand having 300 lbs bouncing about on it, your likely completely overwhelm less that top level suspension and wheels if you get sporty
  • C ignore half of what BrianBee says.

plenty of affordable gear that will cope with your weight just don't go fly weight in your potions.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    C ignore half of what BrianBee says.

plenty of affordable gear that will cope with your weight just don't go fly weight in your potions.

I agree with you.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    C ignore half of what BrianBee says.

Affordable is rather dependent on what he can Afford ??????????????People who weigh a lot less than him, pop air forks and break spokes on a fairly regular basis.Isnt there commonly a MAX weight for rider beyond which the guarantee is void ?. So clearly the manufactures have concerns

My point wasn't that components arn't available to stand his weight, rather that he should ensure that the bike he selects has such components. Are you disagreeing with that as basic advice ?
  • I've yet to ride anything other than a standard 26" MTB and I've never ridden a bike on the trails where I live now, but I have walked them. There are A LOT of roots along with some red clay and some sand. The trails are heavily wooded also, so lots of leaves obviously. Elevation change is minimal. This combined with my current weight (hoping to get that back to my pre-marriage weight of 235lb) and run over everything riding style has me leaning towards the fat bikes. The 29+ is intriguing also, but I'm assuming dollar for dollar, pound for pound the 26" fat wheels would be stronger. Once I decide what will work best for me I'll begin researching specific makes/models.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you're heavier don't buy a 29er unless it has very strong wheels. At 300lb you would need some very good enduro wheels.