Best Overshoes?

AllezAllezAllez
AllezAllezAllez Posts: 207
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
It's that time of year again....

I'm looking for a good pair of overshoes that actually keep your feet dry and warm.

Any tips?

Do the more expensive overshoes justify the premium price?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I like neoprene ones.
    DHB ones I got have a massive bombproof zip, but I prefer the more expensive Campagnolo ones (with questionable zip) because they fit better and look/feel sexy!

I would probably get road boots if I was that bothered about keeping very dry/warm.
  • Velotoze are ridiculous. They take ages to get on and off, look silly, BUT without doubt kept my feet dry the longest.

So, if that's a priority then they should be worth considering!
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I always seem to end up shredding them in not too many wears so just buy reasonably priced one nowadays. I'm sure the Assos etc ones work very well, but they're just too consumable an item to spend much on.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Much of my cycling life was wasted with the misery and disappointment of overshoes until I got a pair of winter boots.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Personally, I have found the concept of overshoes to be flawed in that, if they are totally waterproof then they will feel very uncomfortable on a ride where one is working hard. If they are not totally waterproof, they just get very wet and then feel leaden whilst doing a really effective job of keeping your feet soaking wet, even if the weather clears up.

Hence, for me, I prefer oversocks (like the Prendas ones, something like £15 for 2 pairs). They help to keep your feet warm and allow air to circulate so that they will dry if conditions permit. Also, they are relatively cheap so that after a couple of seasons when they inevitably wear out, they can be cost-effectively replaced and dropped into a fabrics bin for recycling.

I figure that if it is too cold for oversocks then a) I need some winter boots and b) I need some studded tyres and an ASSOS snowplough :)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    I've had good results with Gore Bike Wear windstopper ones. They are not waterproof but light rain and road spray beads and runs off them nicely. Most importantly they are warm and windproof and don't end up feeling clammy on the inside.

If you plan to do a lot of riding in heavy rain then the neoprene type might be better for you.
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    It's that time of year again....

I'm looking for a good pair of overshoes that actually keep your feet dry and warm.

Any tips?

Do the more expensive overshoes justify the premium price?

I commute everyday, in all weather and agree with previous posts that none are actually waterproof as the water runs down your tights and in the top of the overshoes. I've been through about 10 pairs, trying to find a pair that suits me and found the Prendas Aqualight overshoes (see link below) to be the best combination of durability, compactness, easy-on and weatherproof. They are almost £30 but worth it as you'll have them a while and won't tear the first time you walk in them; I'm into my second winter with them and they show no sign of coming apart.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/prendas-ciclismo-aqua-light-winter-overshoes.html
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I use the Planet X Neoprene ones when its wet.

If its just cold they have a flanders option that just keeps the wind off you without you getting sweaty.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited November 2015

I commute everyday, in all weather and agree with previous posts that none are actually waterproof as the water runs down your tights and in the top of the overshoes. I've been through about 10 pairs, trying to find a pair that suits me and found the Prendas Aqualight overshoes (see link below) to be the best combination of durability, compactness, easy-on and weatherproof. They are almost £30 but worth it as you'll have them a while and won't tear the first time you walk in them; I'm into my second winter with them and they show no sign of coming apart.

Would winter boots not have been more cost effective and convenient for the use you have described?
  • NPU Tarmac. I've used them for years, mainly because they're the only ones that actually fit my size 13 feet, but they're superb. Lovely and warm and waterproof.
  • Velotoze are ridiculous. They take ages to get on and off, look silly, BUT without doubt kept my feet dry the longest.

So, if that's a priority then they should be worth considering!

I have just bought a pair of these, and haven't yet tried them out in the wet, but they look like they will do something that most other shoe covers don't - which is let water ingress around the ankle, as they fit flush on the lower leg.
    As mentioned above though, I tried them on for size and to practice putting them on and nearly gave myself a hernia pulling and pushing, it's probably the nearest thing to giving birth I have experienced! They'd better be good for all that effort at 6am. They do look quite sleek and aero.
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178

Would winter boots not have been more cost effective and convenient for the use you have described?

You're probably right in the longterm but when I've got comfortable with a pair of cycling shoes, baked the soles to my feet and know where I like the cleats I'd rather just put overshoes on them.
  • Much of my cycling life was wasted with the misery and disappointment of overshoes until I got a pair of winter boots.
    I've gone from winter boots to over shoes.

Winter boots were expensive (Northwave Artic), and water still flooded in the top, then they were a pain to dry. I found them quite stiff around the ankles too.

Went to overshoes and have never looked back. They're no more waterproof than boots, as whether you have a boot or overshoe, any water that gets in is down the leg. Over shoes don't fill up though, and are easier to dry at work in time for the journey home.

Got these now. Waterproof, flexible. Velcro back for a 'snug' fit. Peal Izumi Barrier Pro