Turbo Trainer to suit MTB wheels ?

fenix
fenix Posts: 5,437
edited November 2015 in MTB buying advice
A pal is after a turbo for his MTB.

He wants to mount this bike on the turbo permanently and he has slick tyres so I dont think that would be a problem.

I just don't know if all turbos suit MTB wheel sizes ?

Anyone had much success with their bike on a turbo ?

Thanks

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Bigger issue is the knobbly tyre - if he fits a slick most should work fine. Or Minoura do (or did) the RDA, which works on the rim, thus avoiding those problems.
  • fenix
    Yes he's already got a slick on it and his days of riding MTB outside are behind him - so its just the Turbo that he needs to sort. Rim mounted is an option - but they aren't widely available are they ? I'd imagine its a bit of a faff lining it up ?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Turbos I've always used are adjustable for road and MTB??
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes he's already got a slick on it and his days of riding MTB outside are behind him - so its just the Turbo that he needs to sort. Rim mounted is an option - but they aren't widely available are they ? I'd imagine its a bit of a faff lining it up ?

Dunno on RDA availability. That's why I gave you a model name. Sure you can Google. If he has a slick the world is his lobster though, can use just about anything.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Minoura RDA is still available, and it's straightforward to set-up.

But:
    1) they are quite pricy
    2) they (all trainers) take you to a whole new world of boredom
  • fenix
    Cheers - didnt realise that turbos would do road and MTB both.

Turbos can be dull - but if you use something like trainerroad or sufferfest - they're an excellent use of time.
    But no replacement for getting out in the countryside.
  • A pal is after a turbo for his MTB.

He wants to mount this bike on the turbo permanently and he has slick tyres so I dont think that would be a problem.

I just don't know if all turbos suit MTB wheel sizes ?

Anyone had much success with their bike on a turbo ?

Thanks

I've found just about every big trainer manufacturer now includes adapters for just about any mountain bike axel/dropout setup. If he's on a 29er, just throw a 700x23c road tire on the rear wheel and you'll be good to go. I'd recommend just shopping around, find a trainer that does what you want and is within the price range you're looking for, and then visit the manufacturers website before buying to make sure they make the necessary adapters.