Website Hosting, Options?

Bobbinogs
Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
edited November 2015 in The cake stop
I am looking to get my wife's new business setup with a simple website that allows her to do some basic styling, display some piccies and provide contact details. Not a lot more than that (certainly no online commercial capability).

The obvious online options would appear to be godaddy, etc., and the pricing appears to be about £10 per month (ignoring the intro prices advertised on tele).

Has anyone got any comments of feedback on this kind of thing or should I just keep it simple and go with one of the obvious suppliers as £10 per month is about right, etc??

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I am looking to get my wife's new business setup with a simple website that allows her to do some basic styling, display some piccies and provide contact details. Not a lot more than that (certainly no online commercial capability).

The obvious online options would appear to be godaddy, etc., and the pricing appears to be about £10 per month (ignoring the intro prices advertised on tele).

Has anyone got any comments of feedback on this kind of thing or should I just keep it simple and go with one of the obvious suppliers as £10 per month is about right, etc??

Wix is quiet a good platform i think that's only about £60 per year premium, or suffer the wix.commydomain and it's free tho has branding on page, templates are very intuitive, very easy to use site.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Without giving away too much, what sort of business is it? Shopping, social, personal services (not in the dodgy sense) etc?
  • Bobbinogs
    It's nothing ground breaking, my wife is doing sewing stuff (she makes costumes for plays, etc., although I am still waiting for her to model the Tinkerbell one for me).

Thanks for the Wix suggestion, btw. Never heard of them but googling them did lead me to a good review site:

http://www.websitebuilderexpert.com/website-builders-comparison-chart/

The idea is just to get something up and running for now and develop it as she goes along (or winds up, one of the two).
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    For our business we use Heart Internet/Web Fusion, hosting is about £60odd a year.

It's rock solid and being that all of our business is 75% internet based I need reliability, they have quite good spam filters and is really quite secure.

Webfusion was who we originally hosted with and then when I bought yet another domain for hosting they have moved the smaller business over to their sister company Heart Internet: -

https://www.heartinternet.uk/web-hosting

Hope that helps?
  • Hi Robin

At work, the IT teacher uses rochen.com and raves about it, came away from Heart Internet last year. Rochen seems to be rock solid and handles all that we throw at it well.
  • Bobbinogs
    More food for thought, many thanks chaps.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    It's nothing ground breaking, my wife is doing sewing stuff (she makes costumes for plays, etc., although I am still waiting for her to model the Tinkerbell one for me).
    I completely misread that and thought you wanted a Tinkerbell outfit for yourself. :shock:
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I use Squarespace for one of my businesses. The package is under a tenner per month.

Avoid GoDaddy as the owner is an animal hunter.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I rate Squarespace highly as well. Very easy to set up things and seems to have good uptime and speed etc.
  • Bobbinogs
    I use Squarespace for one of my businesses. The package is under a tenner per month.

Avoid GoDaddy as the owner is an animal hunter.

Blimey! Just googled that last bit and the video that the CEO (Bob Parsons) posted of him shooting an elephant and a leopard whilst on his hols is a tad shocking! Looks like that has helped narrow down the search.