Long distance "Allroad" bike with mudguard and rack mounts?

2»

Comments

• Suspect this may be too heavy for you:
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p3104
    It also does not fit with your groupset requirements (though I suspect that if you talk to Spa they may be able to offer other options). It does have a Ti frame though (which you said you might like to try). You can also try one out (with a proper extended test ride) as you are not that far away from Spa.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Kenesis do a lovely all seasons disc brake frameset or bike. Tifosi do the CK7 and ck4 (these have rack mounts but rim brakes). Genesis do the croix de fer and the equilibrium.

That there is all the choice you actually need. Got the genesis equilibrium disc my self for commuting duties. Do 200+ miles a week on it and it is a great bike.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Oh the tektro spyre's work just as well as shimano's rs685 disc brake system. Just use compressionless brake casings to get good feel. The shimano sti's have very long lever throw while I think they work well the lever throw is a bit long even if they are properly bleed. If you a get a small bit of air in them then the lever will come back to bars and you won't stop.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Kinesis Gran Fondo Ti. The non disc version frameset can be had for close to a £1000 and is a superb do anything bike.
  • N1TRO
    N1TRO Posts: 103
    As a proud new owner of the 2016 Specialized Diverge, I'd have to recommend that. I think it can take whatever you want to throw at it. I chose the Elite model, alu frame with a 2x10 Tiagra groupset, came to around 1400€ in the end with pedals included. Fender and rack capable front and rear, I plan on using it for some beginner touring next season.
    I've written about it a bit more on my blog, some pictures there as well. iI you're interested the link is here:
    http://smallcountrycyclist.com/2015/11/07/new-wheels/
  • Again many thanks for all the input. Whilst I think the frameset build is potentially good option for many people I don't have any delusions of adequacy when it comes to bike mechanics. To give you an idea of my practical competency it took me a day to fit a toilet seat (not to a bike)!

I did pop into a couple of LBS and looked at the Giant Anyroad Cromax (brakes not fully hydraulic, pretty ugly IMO, quick release axle but could have afforded a second set of wheels) and Marin Renegade (OK but 1x above Tiagra). It did make me realise that I want a bike that I can look at and say with a big grin on my face "That's mine". When I discussed the other options I was considering the one thing both LBSs said was don't go PlanetX/On One. They both said they regularly get them in their workshops with serious design/ manufacturing/ assembly quality issues. They did say that when the owner sends them back they usually get replaced or fixed but it was hassle for the owners.

thecycleclinic - I'm really after disc brakes because I've had a few close shaves with long reach. I have two steep descents on my commute one directly onto a roundabout and one where I often get overtaken by vehicles that then suddenly slam on their brakes to turn off the road at the bottom of the hill..............and I still can't ungrip my hands after the Fred Whitton descent of Hard Knott/Wrynose in the wet.

N1TRO - Interesting blog and thanks for the info on the Diverge. I'm to go and see one over the next week, I'm looking at the Comp Smartweld version.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I'm not sure that an LBS is the most neutral opinion on an internet company - that said, i'd give every bike I ordered online a good once over when I got it.

On the mechanical skills note, the best way to learn is to start with a bare frame (maybe get the BB and headset fitted) and then dissappear into your mancave for a day...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    As a proud new owner of the 2016 Specialized Diverge, I'd have to recommend that. I think it can take whatever you want to throw at it. I chose the Elite model, alu frame with a 2x10 Tiagra groupset, came to around 1400€ in the end with pedals included. Fender and rack capable front and rear, I plan on using it for some beginner touring next season.
    I've written about it a bit more on my blog, some pictures there as well. iI you're interested the link is here:
    http://smallcountrycyclist.com/2015/11/07/new-wheels/
    Great blog - I've been thinking about getting a Diverge or maybe a Roubaix as my next bike. The Diverge looks and sounds great in your blog.
  • Just ordered the Kona Roadhouse, 20% discount for Black Friday weekend from Sunset bikes. Won't get it until mid January. Bit of a risk as I still haven't been on one but advice from Sunset was great and they are happy to change frames if I've ordered the wrong size. They are also going to give me a bike fit, setting it up tubeless and fitting rack and mudguards.

Really liked the look of the specialized diverge when I saw it I but even the specialized concept shop weren't very positive about the ease of mudguard fit. Also didn't like the idea of having non standard axle sizes.
  • N1TRO
    N1TRO Posts: 103
    I honestly haven't thought about fitting fenders at all. Checked out the price on the official US Spec website and they have it set at 60 USD I think... A bit much for some aluminium if you ask me.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Just ordered the Kona Roadhouse, 20% discount for Black Friday weekend from Sunset bikes. Won't get it until mid January. Bit of a risk as I still haven't been on one but advice from Sunset was great and they are happy to change frames if I've ordered the wrong size. They are also going to give me a bike fit, setting it up tubeless and fitting rack and mudguards.

Can you come back and post a review in the Your Road Bikes sub forum, of your impressions of the bike once you have used it for a while? Thanks.
  • DJ58 - yep will definitely post a review after I've got some miles in.