Replacement wheels for christmas

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 8,234
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
I need to submit a christmas list to the boss and I'm thinking of new wheels because the braking surface on the rear is fairly worn.

Currently on Fulcrum Racing 5;s which as far as my abilities go are fairly robust, light enough, strong enough and I can fully service the hubs myself.

I'm thinking of a straight replacement and turning the old rear wheel into my turbo wheel.

I'm not going on a huge upgrade mission as I'm hoping to replace the bike when funds allow to a disc furnished afair.

Putting the cost of new wheels to the disc bike is not feasable ATM...

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or other options I should look at? 5's are around £165 less my BC discount on CRC with a shimano freehub.
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Personally, I would go for the Racing 5 LGs, which is the new slightly wider version. Only other option that I have tried and liked as a low price training option (outside of the usual budget price Shimano offerings) would be the Aksiums but they don't have serviceable bearings and many complain about the quality of the freehub (the freehub on my set died spectacularly too but the pair I had were 2nd hand so I have no idea of the mileage, etc.).
  • Sorry, they ARE the LG version.
    Advocate of disc brakes.