Spz Sirrus Sport 2013 from commute to road

hlegius
hlegius Posts: 11
edited November 2015 in Commuting general
Hello there!

I've considered for many times to sell my Sirrus 2013 in prior to buy some Allez series road bike. After lots of researches, my considerations are: Allez/Diverge are more money than features. I found that if I spent the same/less amount of money to buy a Allez Sport I can transform my Sirrus into something way better than Allez (components wise).

My concern is about Sirrus' frame geometry: looks like Sirrus has the "correct" geometry to convert it into a road bike - almost a DIY Spz Diverge's version, but I am not entirely sure. I do not intent to get An Espetacular Roadie™ (to get into competitions and so on), just improve my Sirrus into something more reliable and roadie-style with good mudguards (Sirrus' frame has the proper pins to setup it - Allez/Diverge doesn't)

I was wondering:

- Shimano XT v-brakes with PS' Travel Agents + Kool Stop
- Shimano 105 Groupset 5800 11v
- Shimano 105 hubs (if you have something better to suggest, I would appreciate)
- Continental UltraSport/Gatorskin 700x25c
- Mudguards - I have it already :]
- Specialized handlebars + Specialized Stem (both in Aluminium) - I am not sure about stem, though.
- A bikefit :P

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    N+1

Buy a road bike - doesn't have to be the Allez - plenty of other bikes out there.

Leave your Sirrus as is - it's a handy second bike - you could sell it, but you'd not get much return on it. Put some mudguards on and use it for winter riding.

Btw - I have guards on my Allez, I also upgraded it to 105 crankset and 105 shifter (just the right one - the left was already a double setup and didn't need the spend) - I use it as my winter training bike as I have a Tarmac for best ...
    But - I ride a tricross as a do-it-all bike - with full guards and plenty of clearance - good in all weathers (with the right tyres!)
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Leave your Sirrus as is ... and use it for winter riding.
    The OP is from Brasil - winter is that day when the temperature drops down to 20 :)

I'd echo the same advice - a second bike can be very handy, and it's a lot less effort to buy a road bike than trying to make a conversion that won't ever be quite right.
  • slowbike
    ok - wet riding then .... !! :o
  • (..)Btw - I have guards on my Allez(..)

It fits well on Allez's frame? São Paulo has a rainy/cloudy weather - people usually says that looks like London's weather sometimes.
    jamesco wrote:
    The OP is from Brasil - winter is that day when the temperature drops down to 20

That's totally true! Our winter is something around 14~10 C at night.

Well, you guys made me change my plans :P
    I will go for a proper road bike - later I'll start some searching for options (Spz, Cannondale, etc.)
    Later, I'd rather sell my Sirrus and buy some fixie - I liked some State bicycles models. But I definitely need to search more (mudguards, climbs, etc).

TL;DR: I am gonna keep Sirrus as it is. :P
  • slowbike
    I have crud road racer II's on my Allez

they're ok for wet, but if there's crud on the road then they soon get clogged up - hence I ride a CX for real winter riding as the mudguard clearance is greater.
  • Hello there!

Thanks for all your opinions. I did follow the tips and finally bought a Specialized Allez E5 (with Claris groupset). I am enjoying a lot my new bike. In the future (1 year or more) I can do an upgrade to Shimano 105 groupset :]

My Sirrus will be useful for commuting and casual ride with my wife.

Thank you very much for open my eyes. You were right! hehe!

[]'s
    Helio