TRP brakes

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited November 2015 in Cyclocross
I have a pair of CX9 brakes that I use for commuting and a bit off road (not in cyclocross races anymore though)
They seem good, but really annoying to adjust. I was thinking of RevoX alloy brakes at least you can use barrel adjuster looks easier to control and adjust. One of my Allen bolts on rear brakes has worn so can't adjust anymore.

my question, if I go to RevoX alloy, on the road is there any disadvantage with stopping power on tarmac. I use a Vittoria Randour Tyre which can be used off road though in winter doesn't have a great grip compared to Cyclocross tyre.

I switched to a Cyclocross bike for commuting 5 years ago, never looked back. High clearance, easier to clean and robust for inner city London potholes, easy to manoeuvre around traffic and riding on pavement when allowed.

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Not tried the RevoX specifically but every set of canti's I've tried have nowhere near the stopping power or lever feel of CX9's unfortunately :cry: I use CX9's on my race bike and setting them up is a right pain, especially when swapping between wheelsets but I stick with them as I know they work well. Canti's aren't particuarly user friendly either to be honest.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Post-mount cantis like RevoX are a pain to adjust as you need 3 hands - if you want an easier set-up canti look at Avid Shorty Ultimates as they use a vee-style brake shoe with orbital adjustment (+less chance of squeal). For a bit more bite, use a soft-compound pad. I have cantis and vees - TRP CX950 carbon cantis (not made anymore) are very good and more modulation than the TRP CX9s.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • canoas
    canoas Posts: 307
    Not tried the RevoX specifically but every set of canti's I've tried have nowhere near the stopping power or lever feel of CX9's unfortunately :cry: I use CX9's on my race bike and setting them up is a right pain, especially when swapping between wheelsets but I stick with them as I know they work well. Canti's aren't particuarly user friendly either to be honest.

I've heard the same thing, by my local shop mechanic that the CX9 gives better braking power on the road (few years ago when I had them fitted with my new crankset at the time).....makes me think just to buy another pair of CX9's or CX8.4's I think they called now.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Is there any difference between the 9 and 8.4's? I noticed Evans sell both and the 8.4's are listed as being specifically for Campag and SRAM.
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    Yes there's a difference. The numbers refer to arm length in mm. The longer the arm the more stopping power but you have to run them closer to the rim. The 8.4s will give you more than enough stopping power and a little more rim clearance but also the bridge at the top will have less clearance with the tyre.