gp4000s tires

thebadgerboy1982
thebadgerboy1982 Posts: 266
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I've mounted 23mm continental gp4000s tires on the new percent sl23 rim, after inflating the tire to 90psi the tire measures 28mm at its widest point. I know the shape of the tire will be affected by a wider rim but this seems crazy! The tires about a year old so may have stretched some. This has made the set up unusable on my cervelo s3 with its max tire size of 25mm. I know i could run them at about 80-85 psi but i prefer a pressure closer to 100 psi.

I know continentals tend to run a bit larger but is this the case with the new gp4000s II's? Ive ordered some veloflex master 23's but I'm a bit worried by them wearing out quickly.

Any other thoughts on a new set of tires to fit on the percenti rims without having the continental problem?

Thanks
Ross

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    The S2 version in 23mm certainly looks like it doesn't come up as big as the original S version, I noticed it as soon as I put them on. Strangely I'm also pretty sure the new ones wear a lot quicker than the old ones, I saw wear beginning quite quickly anyway. ...these are unscientific gut reactions.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Try some Schwalbe One tyres. Every bit as good as the GP4000S, IMO.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    25mm GP4000s (original and mk II) come up big no matter the rim width. I have barely enough clearance with traditional width Dura Ace C24s on my Scott CR1 and moving to 25mm width rims doesn't alter the situation at all.

Michelin Pro 4 don't come up quite as big in my experience and are very nice tyres too, but I don't think they are quite as long lasting as the GP4000s (Schwalbe One are even worse for durability).